Financial Aid Workshop set for Feb. 19 at UVa-Wise
The University of Virginia’s College at Wise Office of Financial Aid will be hosting a Financial Aid Workshop on Saturday, Feb. 19. The event is designed to help students and parents better understand the financial aid process and give them an opportunity to electronically submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA) for the 2011-12 academic year.
The workshop will be held in conjunction with the College’s Campus Preview Day, sponsored by the Office of Admissions. Attendance at the Campus Preview Day is encouraged, but not required to attend the Financial Aid Workshop.
Check-in for the Financial Aid Workshop will begin at 1 p.m. in the lobby of Darden Hall on campus. The workshop begins at 1:30 p.m. with a financial aid information session explaining the financial aid process and includes a question and answer session. At the conclusion of the information session, the staff from the Office of Financial Aid will assist students and their parents complete their 2011-2012 FAFSA online.
To prepare for submitting an on-line FAFSA, the following items should be brought to the workshop:
- A student and parent U. S. Department of Education assigned Personal Identification Number (PIN). This can be obtained by registering for a PIN at www.pin.ed.gov at least a week prior to the event. The PIN allows students and parents to electronically sign their FAFSA, expediting the process
- Student and Parent Social Security Numbers
- Student driver’s license (if applicable)
- Parent and student (as applicable) 2010 W-2’s and other records of earned income
- Parent and student (as applicable) 2010 Federal Income Tax Returns if completed, or 2009 Federal Income Tax Return for an estimate, if a 2010 return is not available.
- Parent and student untaxed income
- Parent and student bank statements
- Current business and investment mortgage information, business (if business employs more than 100) and farm records, stock, bond, and other investment records
- If not a U. S. Citizen, your alien registration card
Directions to the campus can be viewed and downloaded from the UVa-Wise website at http://www.uvawise.edu/about/Map/Directions.
It is preferred that students and parents contact the UVA-Wise Office of Financial Aid at 276-328-0139 by Wednesday, Feb. 16, to reserve a spot for the Financial Aid Workshop. Students who wish to register for the Campus Preview Day should contact the Office of Admissions at 276-328-0102.