Supporting UVa-Wise Women's Tennis & Men's Tennis
Tennis is a very unique sport providing players an opportunity to hone their athletic skills while developing endurance and independence. One of the few sports where players compete without the luxury of a time-out to confer with a coach, tennis requires the ability to persevere through challenging matches. In addition, players are on their honor in keeping score teaching players skills needed to self-manage while learning to work respectfully with competitors.
While winning is important, there are a multitude of core values taught including character, courage, honesty, integrity and sportsmanship. There are no substitutions during a game so players must be prepared for the duration of the match keeping anger and emotions at bay as these can negatively impact their game.
Tennis has become a very popular sport in southwest Virginia with the UVa-Wise tennis program leading the way. Throughout the tennis season the college hosts large numbers of participants and spectators during tennis camps and tournaments. And, because tennis can be a lifelong sport, there are participants of all ages. These activities bring a high level of visibility to UVa-Wise multiplying the impact of the sport.
Contributions have an important impact on our Women’s and Men’s Tennis teams by providing:
“Without the support of our
generous benefactors, tennis would have only the bare minimum of
operating expenses for supplies, uniforms and little funds for our two
assistant coaches. Without the assistants, it would be impossible to
coach both teams,” said
Coach Danny Rowland
- providing scholarships that will help our extraordinary students to succeed. To be even more competitive, we need 3 to 5 additional scholarships per year
- providing appropriate equipment (such as rackets, balls, nets)
- facilities that will help the team compete at its best . “We are extremely proud of the UVa-Wise Jim Humphreys Tennis Complex and we are deeply grateful to the Humphreys for providing funding that made this facility possible,” said Coach Danny Rowland.
- good quality uniforms, shoes, other team apparel
- travel costs such as lodging, meals, transportation
- funds to support to provide two assistant coaches
Respect • Honor • Integrity
Gifts may be made to the tennis teams by:
- making a check payable to UVa-Wise Foundation, indicate that it is for women’s tennis, men’s tennis or simply the tennis program, and mail to UVa-Wise Foundation, 1 College Avenue, Wise, VA 24293.
- Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express
- electronic funds transfer (Bank Draft)
- online by following the link below - this will take you to our online giving page which is part of the University's website. Under "Designation" click by “I would like to choose a specific department, area or sport” and then select the team(s) you would like to support. Continue to complete the info that is requested. It will take just a couple of minutes.