Faculty Profile : Thomas M. Costa
Thomas M. Costa
Department Chair and Professor of History
Phone: (276) 376-4573
Office: Zehmer 219
- Ph.D. – The College of William and Mary, 1991
- M.A. – Old Dominion University, 1981
- B.A. – Old Dominion University, 1976
- Africa and the Slave Trade to 1800
- Colonial America
- Jefferson's America
- History of Virginia
- African American History
- History of Western Civilization
- Professor Costa has published in the fields of English and American colonial history. He is the director of the Geography of Slavery in Virginia project of the Virginia Center for Digital History at the University of Virginia. This is a comprehensive online database of runaway slave advertisements from colonial and antebellum Virginia.
- Dr. Costa has participated in summer programs sponsored by the National Endowment for the Humanities and has helped secure teaching and research grants from the NEH, the U.S. Department of Education, and the Virginia Foundation for the Humanities. Nominated in the past for the SCHEV Outstanding Faculty Award, he has also been a past Fellow of the Virginia Foundation for the Humanities.
- Harrison Distinguished Faculty Award, 2011.