Bringing a Computer to the University of Virginia's College at Wise
Although it is not required, it is strongly recommended that students bring a personal computer to assist with academic pursuits including writing papers, preparing presentations, accessing course websites, and communicating with faculty, staff, and other students.
The University of Virginia 's College at Wise recommends the following minimum specifications for personal computers on campus and for faculty and staff members for personal purchases:
- Minimum 4 GB of RAM
- Windows 8, Windows 7, Mac OS X (10.8 or newer) or Linux operating system with all patches/updates
- Updated anti-virus virus software (Symantec Antivirus, AVG, Trend, or other legitimate recognized software)
- Wireless card for network access
- A 3 or 4 year comprehensive warranty is highly recommended, especially for laptops
- Word processing software (Microsoft Word, Open Office, Pages)
- Anti-spyware and Anti-adware Software: MalwareBytes
OIT offers free Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition for all UVa-Wise students (residential and commuter). Click Here for further details on how to obtain a copy.
|Dell Premier Web Site for UVa-Wise||UVa-Wise/ Apple
Store for Education
For Purchasing a computer, software, peripherals, etc. for official college or departmental use, the Office of Information Technology offers many knowledgeable staff members who can assist and advise you with your purchase. For assistance in ordering computers, peripherals, or software you may contact the IT Helpdesk.