C. Bascom Slemp Student Center
The $10.9 million, 46,234 square foot C. Bascom Slemp Student Center effectively bridges the upper and lower campus while providing recreational space and office and meeting areas for the Student Government Association, Highland Cavalier, Honor Court, Jimson Weed, Student Activities Board, the eight Greek organizations, and other student organizations.
The Student Center’s exterior is designed to create an outdoor living environment. A landscaped amphitheater provides the perfect location for a concert or event.
Get your CAVScard
The Center houses the Bookstore, racquetball courts, locker rooms, a game room, fitness center, aerobics room, student leadership wing, two eateries, the campus Post Office, Jefferson Lounge, and conference meeting facilities.
Want to reserve a location for a lecture, meeting, or other event?
Conferences & Events, located on the third floor of the C. Bascom Slemp Student Center, is the place to go to plan an event in and around the Student Center on campus. Reservation requests are taken for venues in the following facilities: C. Bascom Slemp Student Center, Cantrell Hall, Greear Gym, Chapel of All Faiths, Crockett Sunken Garden, and the Lawn by the Lake.
The building was funded by student fees and a $2.5 million gift from the C. Bascom Slemp Foundation. The Student Center is named in honor of C. Bascom Slemp (1870-1943), the Ninth District Representative to the U.S. Congress who later became the personal secretary to President Calvin Coolidge. In his will, Mr. Slemp provided for the creation of the Slemp Foundation, which provides numerous scholarships to students in Southwest Virginia and supports many other significant projects in the region.
Situated in the heart of the main campus, the C. Bascom Slemp Student Center is located directly behind Smiddy Hall and in front of John Cook Wylie Library.