Submitted by kls7ad on January 29, 2015 – 1:45pm

Officials with the Napoleon Hill Foundation understand the benefits of long term investing, and the steady investment the Foundation has made to The University of Virginia’s College at Wise has grown to more than $1 million and has helped more than 100 students.

The tally for the Napoleon Hill Foundation Scholarship Fund topped the $1 million mark in January 2015 when Don Green, the Foundation’s director, presented a $250,000 check to Chancellor Donna P. Henry. The scholarship fund, established in 1997, is named in honor of Napoleon Hill, a native of Wise County. Hill’s business and success philosophies remain popular around the world.

The Napoleon Hill Scholars program encourages students in all major academic studies at UVa-Wise to participate in honors studies and to engage in business research and internships through special academic work based on the using Hill’s “Keys to Success” philosophy.

Green has been at the helm of the Foundation since he retired after a successful career in banking. He started work for the foundation in a small office located in a dry cleaning store.

“It was a 10 foot by 12 foot office,” Green recalled. “Local businessman Wendell Barnett gave me a small wooden desk, and I went to Walmart and purchased a combination phone and fax machine for $89.99, and then I started work.”

He moved operations to the UVa-Wise campus shortly after taking the post with the foundation. It was during those early days that Green and Annedia Sturgill, his administrative assistant, would often discuss his goal of the foundation eventually donating a total of $1 million for the scholarship fund. Hill’s teachings about goal setting are a key component in his success philosophy.

“It took us a while, but we got there,” Green said. “The satisfaction comes from knowing it is all for the students and that it continues to help them achieve a college degree. We looked forward to reaching our goal. In life, we don’t usually exceed our expectations, but I saw the possibility of it and never had a doubt in my mind that we’d accomplish it.”

Green’s comments echo Hill’s most famous quote that simple states that a person can achieve what his or her mind can conceive. He believes Hill would be pleased that the foundation that bears his name has made education possible for so many promising students.

“Education is the answer,” Green said. “I think Napoleon Hill would be very proud.”

Professor Frank Frey works closely with the Napoleon Hill Scholars. He says the scholarships and the Hill philosophy lessons bring many benefits to students.

“At the very least it helps offset the increasing costs of higher education for those selected to be Napoleon Hill Scholars,” Frey said. “But more importantly, it helps us introduce the philosophy of success to a wider range of students at the College, giving them a stronger foundation for achieving their goals in life.”

According to Frey, the program has helped more than a hundred students, and the latest gift to the College means even more can be trained for success. Student Mikaela Campbell-Magana, a Napoleon Hill Scholar, said the program and the scholarship has been a tremendous help to her and her fellow classmates.

“I’m mostly referring to the ideas and philosophies of which the foundation was built upon, those being Napoleon Hill’s ‘Keys to Success,’” she said. “Many of the keys are things that everyone knows to practice and implement in their daily lives, but it really requires a conscious effort to enforce regularly and to do so well for that matter.”

Campbell-Magana said she has realized many of her goals, especially ones that she has struggled with in the past.

“All it took was for someone to believe that I had what it took to be a scholar for me to find the confidence and potential within myself,” she said. “The program has been a true test of my abilities, and I am more than thankful for the opportunity and experience.”

Classmate Vincent Freels agrees.

“I am a first generation college student, and I fund my college education from my own pocket,” he said. “This scholarship helps to pay for my college experience. In addition to funding tuition, it also enriches my experience by providing me with different opportunities to help me grow in both my professional and personal life.”

In addition to establishing the Napoleon Hill Scholars program, the Napoleon Hill Foundation also established the Napoleon Hill Professorship in Business at UVa-Wise.