Casey Taylor, a junior at the University of Virginia’s College at Wise, wants to get his specialty bottle cap company up and running. The Staunton, Virginia native has always had the spirit of an entrepreneur, but he is just now on the verge of a breakthrough.

“The business I’m interested in is a 3D bottle cap product,” Taylor said. “My 3DBuddyCaps project is to sell customized bottle caps that will allow kids to create their owe bottle caps.”

Taylor believes children will start collecting the bottle caps while at the same time learning to stay hydrated. He envisions the plan as similar to the way kids once collected Pez candy dispensers or other novelties.

“When I was a child, all I wanted to do was play with my Power Rangers,” he said. “I remember teachers would never let me do that, but research has shown that many kids experience anxiety or depression when they don’t have their favorite toys as a comfort.”

Taylor said 3DBuddyCaps could be the next popular collectable. He has worked on the project since September 2018, and he recently won the UVa-Wise Concept Cup Competition. As the winner, Taylor went through a Shark Tank-type program in which is pitched his plan to a panel of judges from the private sector.  He received $1,000, and he hopes to start a Kickstarter campaign now to reach enough funding for his entire project.

“We are ready to launch, but we still need more money to get things started,” he added.  “My ultimate goal is to get 3DBuddyCaps to the collectable market for kids. A long term goal is for 3DBuddyCaps to allow our customers the ability to stay hydrated and feel comfortable with our customized bottle caps.”

The interdisciplinary studies major that is focused on mathematics, entrepreneurship and business, is continuing the Kickstarter project. He hopes to receive good news in coming weeks. The Kickstarter campaign can be found at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/3dbuddycaps/3dbuddycaps?ref=nav_search&result=project&term=3dbuddycaps