Requirements for graduating with a degree from UVa-Wise include:
- A minimum of 120 semester hours. (At most, two hours earned in physical education activities courses may be counted as part of the 120-hour requirement.) Completion of general education requirements is considered to be part of this 120 hours.
- An overall grade point average of 2.00 or higher for all college-level work (including all coursework at other institutions) and 2.00 or higher on all work attempted at UVa-Wise.
- In the major area, a grade point average of 2.00 or higher as prescribed by the major.
- Completion of requirements for one of the major program areas and the general education requirements as described in the catalog of record.
- Enrollment at UVa-Wise for the semester in which degree requirements are completed.
- Completion of at least 45 semester hours through UVa-Wise, with a minimum of 15 semester hours of upper-level courses completed in the major.
- Completion of at least 58 semester hours in a regionally accredited four-year college or university.
- The filing of an application for graduation with the Office of the Registrar at least one full semester prior to the anticipated graduation date.
- Completion of the Cultural Activities Requirement (which is part of General Education).
A student will normally meet the graduation requirements outlined in the College catalog of the year in which the student entered the College. A student may elect to satisfy the requirements outlined in a catalog subsequent to those in effect when the student entered. However, a student may not use the requirements outlined in a catalog that is more than eight years old at the time a student graduates. A student may change catalogs by declaring a major with the appropriate Department Chair.
Graduating seniors must be in good standing with respect to academics and the College judicial system. Any student who is not in good standing judicially, who has penalties levied but not satisfied as the result of a judicial process, or who has an Honor Court case pending will be allowed to walk during the graduation ceremony, but will not receive a diploma or transcript. The student’s diploma and/or transcript will not be forthcoming until all penalties are satisfied and all sanctions are lifted.