Professor of Communication and Appalachian Studies
Co-Director of Center for Appalachian Studies
Office: Zehmer 116
- Ph.D., Indiana University of Pennsylvania
- M.A., Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- B.A., Clinch Valley College of the University of Virginia
- Rhetorical Criticism
- Qualitative Research Methods
- Appalachian Literature
- Dialects of the Appalachian Region
Areas of Study
Appalachian Women and Literacy
The Rhetoric of Death in Appalachia
Talking Appalachian (2014). Co-edited with Nancy Hayward. University Press of Kentucky.
- Success in Hill Country (2013). Napoleon Hill Foundation.
Outstanding Faculty Award (2014). State of Virginia.
Harrison Award for Outstanding Research (2013) UVA Wise.