TEP Admission Requirements
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS TO THE TEACHER EDUCATION PROGRAM (TEP)
Students who are seeking a teaching endorsement in Virginia must apply for and be granted admission to the TEP by the Teacher Education Admissions Committee.
Please review the following information before beginning the online application.
TEP Admission Requirements:
- Admitted to The University of Virginia’s College at Wise
- Completion of 30 or more semester hours of academic credit from an accredited college or university
- A cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or higher for all course work completed at UVA Wise and an overall cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or better from all colleges and universities attended
- Completion of EDUC 2510, Foundations and Development of American Education, with a recorded grade of “C-” or better
- Passing score on the Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment (VCLA)
- Praxis I math (students may opt out with SAT/ACT scores and a grade of B” or higher in EDU 3021 can replace a failing score on the PPST math assessment. Students who have taken the SAT before April 1, 1995, and achieved a score of 1,000 (450 minimum verbal and 510 minimum math) or students who have taken the SAT after April 1, 1995, and achieved a score of 1,100 (530 minimum verbal and 530 minimum math) are not required to take the PRAXIS I math or the VCLA for program admission. However, those meeting the assessment requirement for program admission with substitute SAT or ACT scores must take the VCLA to meet admission requirements to the Teaching Internship and for licensure application
- Recommendations from:
- The chair of their major academic department at UVA Wise
- Four college instructors (including at least two members of the UVA Wise faculty) who have observed and assessed the candidate’s performance as a student
- Dean of Students
- The Teacher Education Admission Committee.
Students who have already completed a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university and wish to be admitted to the TEP should apply immediately after their admission to UVA Wise; students holding a degree must complete all requirements for admission to the TEP by the conclusion of their second semester enrolled at the college.