Frequently Asked Questions

Accounts and Logins

Q: How do I get an account for the computer labs?
A: For the public lab 210, visit the IT Help Desk in Darden Hall 110. Make sure you bring your College ID. For the CS lab 232B, contact Jim Stewart ( in Darden Hall 210A.

Q: I can’t log on to any of the lab computers. What do I do?
A: Make sure you are logging on to the correct domain. For the public lab, you should log on to the UVAWISE domain. In the CS lab, you should use the COSC domain. If you have the proper domain selected, you may be entering the wrong password or be locked out of your account.

Q: I need a database for a class project. What do I do?
A: Contact Seth France (

Q: I can’t log on to the MCS department’s Moodle server. What do I do?
A: Moodle uses the College’s UVAWISE domain for authentication. If you aren’t able to log on to Moodle, the problem is with your UVAWISE account. Contact the IT Help Desk.

Q: I can’t log on to the College’s Moodle server. What do I do?
A: The main UVa Wise moodle server is managed by the IT department. Contact

Q: My database password needs to be reset. What do I do?
A: Contact Seth France (

Working for the Department

Q: How can I get a work study job in the MCS Department?
A: To work as a lab assistant, contact Jim Stewart ( Lab assistants must be majoring in or intend to major in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or Management Information Systems. To work as a grader, contact Jacob Somervell (, Dept. Chair.

Q: Are internships available?
A: Internships may be available. For information, contact Jacob Somervell, Dept. Chair (


Q: I heard that I can get Microsoft software for free from the department. Is this true?
A: Yes, if you are currently enrolled in at least one for-credit course in the Dept. of Mathematics and Computer Science. Contact Jim Stewart ( for more information.

Q: Do I have to own a computer if I want to be a MIS/CS/SWEG major?
A: No. While most of our students do own a computer, it is not a requirement.