College Admission Requirements — How to Apply
The University of Virginia’s College at Wise is dedicated to providing a comprehensive, world-class education to help our students grow and succeed today and tomorrow. Our diverse student body comprises individuals from every walk of life and from all over the globe with one common trait: a desire to learn. This page includes a range of information about our general application and admission requirements, how to transfer colleges, as well as contact information and links to informational pages for specific types of students.
All applicants to UVa-Wise must be a graduate of an approved secondary school OR hold a certificate of high school equivalency (GED).
In order to be considered for admission to UVa-Wise, each applicant is required to submit:
- A completed application
- $25 non-refundable application fee
- Official high school transcript (or GED certificate, if applicable)
- Scores for either the SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test I) or the ACT (American College Test
- Official transcript from any colleges previously attended (if applicable)*
*Note: While official dual enrollment transcripts are not required for your admission application, if you have any, they will be necessary to provide prior to class registration.
Additional Admission Requirements and Guidelines
Admission preference is given to applicants who have successfully completed the following general coursework and educational requirements:
- Four (4) years of English
- Three (3) years of Mathematics, including Algebra I and II, and a third course to be chosen from: geometry, advanced algebra & trigonometry, calculus, or a related course.
- Two (2) or more years of science (beyond general science)
- Two (2) or more years of a foreign language
- Ranking in the top half of the graduating class
- SAT I score of 900 or higher OR ACT score of 18 or higher (this requirement is waived if the applicant is 25 years of age or older)
- Completion of Advanced Studies diploma or equivalent
Options for Freshman Admission
For students who choose to apply early in their senior year, UVa-Wise offers two nonbinding early admission programs. These programs allow students to take advantage of certain benefits—including academic scholarships, special registration sessions, and a broader selection of residence hall options—by following established timelines. Candidates for Early Admission I should present a record of strong academic achievement and plan to take the SAT/ACT no later than October. Completed applications for fall semester enrollment will be reviewed beginning September 1. All applications for admission must be received prior to August 1 to be assured full consideration for fall admission.
The enrollment deposit of $75.00 is refundable through May 1 for fall enrollment and December 1 for spring enrollment. Refund requests should be made in writing and postmarked by the appropriate date.
College Admission Requirements for Freshmen, Transfers, and more!
For more specific information about various application and admission requirements for different types of students or college transfer requirements, check out the informational pages for freshmen, transfer students, exchange/international students, and non-degree students.