WHAT IS EXPEDITION?
Expedition serves as an all-encompassing kick-off to the UVA WISE experience for all new first-year students. Named for Mr. Jefferson’s vision of exploration of the western U.S. by Lewis and Clark, it is an extended orientation program that helps new students make their transition into the campus community as seamless as possible.
While summer orientation sessions provided students and families an opportunity to learn more about UVA WISE, get questions answered and take care of business, Expedition is focused solely on the new students. Expedition incorporates a multitude of educational, social, community service, and leadership opportunities geared toward student success.
The Expedition logo, a directional compass, is symbolic of the different directions, opportunities and challenges that College life brings. UVA WISE abounds with opportunities for academic exploration and the development of leadership and personal skills.
WHO ATTENDS EXPEDITION?
All new UVA WISE first-year students (residential and commuter) are expected to participate in Expedition. Please do not plan weekend trips, vacations, work hours, etc. during this event.
WHEN IS EXPEDITION?
Expedition 2019 begins on the afternoon of Sunday, August 18 (after Move-In Day for residential students that morning), and continues on Monday, August 19. The Expedition new-student experience concludes with Fall Convocation on Tuesday, August 20. [Schedule Overview]
- for residential students will be at the McCraray Lawn by the Lake tent from 8 am-noon to coincide with your residence hall check-in
- for commuter students will be at the Slemp Student Center from 1-2 pm
On Sunday, Expedition will be from 2-8 pm, and Monday’s schedule will be 1-6 pm. The full Expedition schedule will be provided at check-in. The Expedition kick-off event for all new students will begin on Sunday at 2 pm in Cantrell Banquet Hall.
Students who attend all Expedition events will receive one cultural activity credit toward their four (4) freshman-year requirements.
WHO ARE THE ELs?
Expedition Leaders, or ELs, are upper level students who will guide new students through Expedition. As team leaders, ELs will participate actively in Expedition, providing information and resources, as well as guiding new students in a successful transition to UVA WISE.
- What should I wear? Dress is casual. Be sure to also wear comfortable shoes – there will be a lot of walking. Consider the weather and the need for an umbrella, jacket, etc.
- What should I bring? All materials – folder, pen and a slingpack – are provided.
- What is the innovate2eleVAte Project? To boost innovative teaching and academic success, UVA WISE will provide all full-time students and employees with an iPad, Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard this fall. Additional information about distribution of these items for new first-year students will be shared during Expedition.
- Where do I park? Students should park in their regular, designated lots with a valid parking decal displayed on their vehicle.
- When do I get my Cavs Card ID? You will receive your Cavs Card ID card at check-in on Sunday. If you have not already had your ID photo taken, please do so in Campus Mail Services prior to the start of Expedition.
- Will I receive cultural activity credit for Expedition? Yes, students who attend ALL Expedition events will receive one cultural activity credit toward their four freshman-year requirement. Another credit may be earned at Tuesday’s Fall Convocation event.
- Are campus offices open during Expedition? Yes, several offices are open on Sunday, August 18, from 9 am-2 pm to provide students and families an opportunity to take care of final business details. These offices include:
- Cantrell Hall – Campus Police, Health Wise Clinic (Health packet collections/questions only; no clinic services), Housing & Residence Life, and Student Affairs
- Crockett Hall – Admissions, Cashier’s Office, Financial Aid, Registrar’s Office, and Student Engagement
- Slemp Student Center – Bookstore and Campus Mail Services