WHAT IS EXPEDITION?
Expedition serves as an all-encompassing kick-off to the UVA Wise experience for all new first-year students. Named for Mr. Jefferson’s vision of exploration of the western U.S. by Lewis and Clark, it is an extended orientation program that helps new students make their transition into the campus community as seamless as possible.
While summer orientation sessions provided students and families an opportunity to learn more about UVA Wise, get questions answered and take care of business, Expedition is focused solely on the new students. Expedition incorporates a multitude of educational, social, community service, and leadership opportunities geared toward student success.
The Expedition logo, a directional compass, is symbolic of the different directions, opportunities and challenges that College life brings. UVA Wise abounds with opportunities for academic exploration and the development of leadership and personal skills.
WHO ATTENDS EXPEDITION?
All new UVA Wise first-year students (residential and commuter) are expected to participate in Expedition. Please do not plan weekend trips, vacations, work hours, etc. during this event.
WHEN IS EXPEDITION?
Expedition 2020 will be on Sunday, August 9 and Monday, August 10. The Expedition new-student experience concludes with Fall Convocation on Tuesday, August 11. Additional details will be provided in summer 2020.
Students who attend all Expedition events will receive one cultural activity credit toward their four (4) freshman-year requirements in the Liberal Arts Core.
WHO ARE THE ELs?
Expedition Leaders, or ELs, are upper level students who will guide new students through Expedition. As team leaders, ELs will participate actively in Expedition, providing information and resources, as well as guiding new students in a successful transition to UVA Wise.
- What should I wear? Dress is casual. Be sure to also wear comfortable shoes – there will be a lot of walking. Consider the weather and the need for an umbrella, jacket, etc.
- What should I bring? All materials – folder, pen and a slingpack – are provided.
- What is the innovate2eleVAte Project? To boost innovative teaching and academic success, UVA WISE will provide all full-time students and employees with an iPad, Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard this fall. Distribution of these items for new first-year students is expected to be during Expedition.
- Where do I park? Students should park in their regular, designated lots with a valid parking decal displayed on their vehicle.
- When do I get my Cavs Card ID? You will receive your Cavs Card ID card at check-in on Sunday if you submitted your photo via the directions you received after completing Virtual Orientation. If you have not already done so, you can have your photo made in Campus Mail Services prior to the start of Expedition.
- Will I receive cultural activity credit for Expedition? Yes, students who attend ALL Expedition events will receive one cultural activity credit toward their four freshman-year requirement. Another credit may be earned at Tuesday’s Fall Convocation event.