WHAT IS EXPEDITION?
Expedition serves as an all-encompassing kick-off to the UVA Wise experience for all new first-year students. Named for Mr. Jefferson’s vision of exploration of the western U.S. by Lewis and Clark, it is an extended orientation program that helps new students make their transition into the campus community as seamless as possible.
While summer orientation sessions provided students and families an opportunity to learn more about UVA Wise, get questions answered and take care of business, Expedition is focused solely on the new students. Expedition incorporates a multitude of educational, social, community service, and leadership opportunities geared toward student success.
The Expedition logo, a directional compass, is symbolic of the different directions, opportunities and challenges that College life brings. UVA Wise abounds with opportunities for academic exploration and the development of leadership and personal skills.
WHO ATTENDS EXPEDITION?
All new UVA Wise first-year students (residential and commuter) are expected to participate in a one-day Expedition event for students-only. Please do not plan weekend trips, vacations, work hours, etc. during this event.
WHEN IS EXPEDITION?
Expedition 2020 will be held virtually on Sunday, August 23 in two available sessions for students — noon-2 pm or 3-5 pm. Students’ charged and ready UVA Wise iPad is the preferred device to join via Zoom to learn new tips & techniques throughout the event. Registration details will be sent to students’ UVA Wise email closer to the event date.
Students who attend all Expedition events will receive one cultural activity credit toward their four (4) freshman-year requirements in the Liberal Arts Core.
WHO ARE THE ELs?
Expedition Leaders, or ELs, are upper level students who will guide new students through Expedition. As team leaders, ELs will participate actively in Expedition, providing information and resources, as well as guiding new students in a successful transition to UVA Wise.
- How will Expedition will be offered? Students will participate in Expedition via Zoom. Be sure to use your UVA Wise iPad so you can learn new tips & techniques throughout the event.
- What do I need to participate? You will need an internet/wifi connection and your iPad is the preferred device. A computer or phone may also be used, but without many of the interactive opportunities.
- When do I get my Cavs Card ID? Visit the Cavs Card webpage for additional information on mobile photo uploads and receiving your card.
- Will I receive cultural activity credit for Expedition? Yes, students who attend ALL Expedition events will receive one cultural activity credit toward their four freshman-year requirement. Another credit may be earned at Tuesday’s Fall Convocation event.
- What is the innovate2eleVAte Project? To boost innovative teaching and academic success, UVA Wise provides all full-time students and employees with an iPad, Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard. Distribution of these items for new first-year students is coordinated by the Office of Information Technology prior to the start of the semester. They have been mailed to all students who have not already received them.