Student support is among the highest priorities of the UVA Wise Campaign. With a rich tradition of working hard to make it possible for students to graduate with the least amount of debt possible, we are grateful to the alumni and friends who generously support student scholarships. Throughout the College’s history, we have welcomed students based on their talent and demonstrated potential. Because of the rising cost of tuition and fees, there are many students who have the dream to earn a college education but they lack the financial resources to turn their aspirations into realities. For these students, endowed scholarships can change their lives.
Our goal is to raise $35 million for student scholarship support. Increasing the University’s number of endowed scholarships is critical to the achievement of this goal and ensuring our ability to continue to attract outstanding students, increase our offerings for experiential learning (study abroad, undergraduate research and internship/externship opportunities) and reduce the amount of debt students carry with them after graduation.
UVA Wise students have the potential to be tomorrow’s leaders around the globe. They deserve every opportunity to excel and to reduce their concerns about the cost of higher education. Here are two ways you can invest in our students. You will also be investing in our future, too!
Establish endowed scholarships:
- Based on Need
- Based on Merit
- Designated for a specific Academic Discipline
- Designated for a specific Athletic Program
- Designated for Undergraduate Research
- Designated for Study Abroad
- Designated for Worthy & Deserving Students
- Other criteria that you select
Create Your Legacy
Endowed scholarships are invested through the University of Virginia’s Investment Management Company which regularly yields exceptional earnings. Funding an endowed scholarship creates a perpetual stream of financial support for tuition, fees, room, board and for experiential learning. Endowed scholarships may be established with a minimum gift of $10,000, and they last the life of the College at Wise, making them an important investment in future generations of students. While $10,000 remains the minimum, we aspire to have endowed scholarships at the $25,000, $50,000 and beyond level. Scholarship funds established at the $50,000 level currently qualify for a matching gift initiative through the University of Virginia’s Bicentennial Scholars Fund. Gifts may be made over a five-year period.
Additional Opportunities for Named Endowed Funds:
- Creating a steady stream of support for award funds ensures that named awards will be available in perpetuity. The endowed funds will generate sufficient support for plaques and awards including a monetary award for the recipient(s). Such funds may be established at the $10,000 level. Every discipline needs endowed award funds. Fund an existing named award or establish a new one.
- Operational funds are needed for every academic discipline, athletic programs and operational funds for the greatest needs. These funds operate exactly like an endowed scholarship fund with the distribution used for official expenses and support for the program in which it was created to benefit.
Contact our Team
UVA Wise’s Advancement team can tell you about the many ways to make a difference in the lives of the College’s students.
Ways to Give
From endowments and annual fund gifts to bequests and planned gifts, there are many ways to make an impact at UVA Wise that fit a variety of lifestyles.