Thank you for considering an internship through the WiseWorks internship program. The WiseWorks internship program makes paid internships possible for UVA Wise students. Please read all of this information before completing the application below.
This program is made possible by the University of Virginia’s Strategic Investment Fund.
While every effort will be made to match students with available opportunities, an internship cannot be guaranteed, due to a variety of factors, such as the timing of student applications, the strength of the applicant pool, employer needs, and funding. For students not matched in the WiseWorks Internship Program, the Office of Career Discovery and Planning will provide advising and resources to assist students in searching for internships through secondary resources.
To be eligible for WiseWorks internships, students must:
- have completed a minimum of one semester at UVA Wise;
- be enrolled full-time in a degree-seeking program at UVA Wise;
- have an overall GPA of at least 2.5*
- be in good standing at UVA Wise; and
- be able to meet the health, age, academic, security, and/or related internship criteria of the internship provider (employer)
*Exceptions considered if a recommendation letter is provided by a faculty member from the student’s area of study.
International students must be “employment authorized” by holding a valid F-1 Visa. For information about your eligibility for Optional Practical Training (OPT) (pre-completion or post-completion) or Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Optional Practical Training Extension (OPT), please contact your academic advisor or Sass Sheppard (email@example.com).
The WiseWorks internship program requires students to commit to a minimum number of hours worked per week.
- Students can participate in only one Wise Works internship at a time.
- Students must complete at least one semester or one summer of a Wise Works internship, or the Wise Works internship must have ended, before they are eligible to apply for a different Wise Works internship.
- Submit resume, cover letter, and any other required documents to WiseWorks. Wise Works staff will forward your application materials to the internship provider; students may not apply directly to the internship provider.
- If chosen for interviews, participate in person, by phone, or via video.
- If chosen for internship placement, sign letter of commitment within seven (7) days.
- Participate in mandatory WiseWorks orientation.
- Begin internship.
- Complete a midterm internship review with WiseWorks staff.
- Complete internship.
- Submit an evaluation form for the internship process, internship itself, and the internship provider.