Cavaliers Care: A Day of Service @ UVa-Wise
The University of Virginia’s College at Wise will host the 8th annual Cavaliers Care: A Day of Service on
Saturday, April 21, 2018.
The Day of Service was first held in 2011 as a joint venture between the University of Virginia in Charlottesville and the College at Wise to honor and to celebrate the inauguration of Teresa A. Sullivan as the eighth president of the University of Virginia. In keeping with the College’s mission to promote civic involvement within the community, the Day of Service has become an annual event sponsored by the Office of Student Life.
A variety of projects will be available for members of the UVa-Wise and surrounding community. Please keep in mind that a limited number of participants will be assigned to each project. All volunteers will receive a confirmation email with details about their project a few days in advance of the event.
**Organizations: All members must register individually to ensure we have an accurate count for participants.**
Walk-ins will be welcome on Saturday, April 21. They will be assigned on a first-come, first-served basis to the various available projects.
Check-in and breakfast for all Day of Service volunteers will be from 8-8:45 am in the Greear Gymnasium. Please remember to dress appropriately for both the weather and the project. Upon check-in, volunteers will receive a free t-shirt, courtesy of the UVa-Wise Student Government Association. Breakfast is provided courtesy of the Wise Kiwanis Club.
This year’s projects to be conducted from 9 am-12 pm are listed below. Please note that some events are open to all participants and others are restricted to specific groups and organizations. Also note that some projects are located on-campus and others are off-campus in local areas; transportation is not provided. Carpooling is available if noted on registration form.
Our 2018 projects open to any and all volunteers include:
- CAMPUS BEAUTIFICATION (open to all; on-campus): participants will complete a variety of clean up and landscaping projects in and around campus.
- PET ADOPTION BLANKETS (open to all; on-campus): participants will create hand-crafted ‘tie’ fleece blankets for a the local Animal Rescue.
- LAURELS NURSING HOME ACTIVITY (open to all: off-campus): participants will interact with residents by participating in a BINGO activity.
- HERITAGE HALL NURSING HOME CRAFT (open to all: off-campus): participants will interact with residents by completing a craft.
Our 2018 projects open only to UVa-Wise clubs and organizations include:
- CAMP BETHEL CLEAN UP (open to ATHLETES only; off-campus): Highland Cavalier athletes will complete a variety of cleaning and upkeep projects in and around Camp Bethel facilities.
- TOWN OF WISE CLEAN UP (open to SGA only; off-campus): members of SGA will work on clean up and landscaping projects within the Town of Wise.
- FAMILY CRISIS SUPPORT SERVICES (open to GREEKS only; off-campus): members of GREEK LIFE will work with Family Crisis Support Services of Wise County on various projects to help the community.
- HERITAGE HALL NURSING HOME ACTIVITY (ROTC & open to all: off-campus): participants will interact with residents by participating in a BINGO activity.
- CAMPUS FOOD BANK SET UP (open to NSLS only; on-campus): participants will assist in assembling shelves and organizing space for the establishment of a campus food bank to serve UVa-Wise.
To find out more about how to participate in the Day of Service, contact Mikaela Logan, Assistant Director of C. Bascom Slemp Student Center at 276.376.3430.