Cavaliers Care: A Day of Service @ UVa-Wise
The University of Virginia’s College at Wise will host the 7th annual Cavaliers Care: A Day of Service on
Saturday, April 1, 2017.
The Day of Service was first held in 2011 as a joint venture between the University of Virginia in Charlottesville and the College at Wise to honor and to celebrate the inauguration of Teresa A. Sullivan as the eighth president of the University of Virginia. In keeping with the College’s mission to promote civic involvement within the community, the Day of Service has become an annual event sponsored by the Office of Student Life.
A variety of projects will be available for members of the UVa-Wise and surrounding community. Registration for specific projects has closed. Please keep in mind that a limited number of participants will be assigned to each project. All volunteers will receive a confirmation email with details about their project a few days in advance of the event.
**Organizations: All members must register individually to ensure we have an accurate count for participants.**
Walk-ins will be welcome on Saturday, April 1. They will be assigned on a first-come, first-served basis to the various available projects.
Check-in and breakfast for all Day of Service volunteers will be from 8-8:45 am in the David J. Prior Convocation Center. Please remember to dress appropriately for both the weather and the project. Upon check-in, volunteers will receive a free t-shirt, courtesy of the UVa-Wise Student Government Association. Breakfast is provided courtesy of the Wise Kiwanis Club.
This year’s projects to be conducted from 9 am-1 pm are listed below. Please note that some events are open to all participants and others are restricted to specific groups and organizations. Also note that some projects are located on-campus and others are off-campus in local areas; transportation is not provided. Carpooling is available if noted on registration form.
Our 2017 projects open to any and all volunteers include:
- CAMPUS BEAUTIFICATION (open to all; on-campus): participants will complete a variety of clean up and landscaping projects in and around campus.
- DARDEN DRIVE CLEAN UP (open to all: on-campus): members of NRHH will work to clear litter along Darden Drive at the front of campus.
- LETTERS TO THE TROOPS & ST. JUDE TRAY LINERS (open to all: on-campus): participants will write letters to servicemen and servicewomen in the armed forces and create tray liners for children who are receiving treatment from the Niswonger Children’s Hospital in Johnson City, TN.
- PET ADOPTION BLANKETS (open to all; on-campus): participants will create hand-crafted ‘tie’ fleece blankets for a the local Animal Rescue.
- SWVA REGIONAL CANCER CENTER SNACKS (open to CAC and others; on-campus): volunteers and UVa-Wise group Colleges Against Cancer group will coordinate making brownies and cookies for patients.
Our 2017 projects open only to UVa-Wise clubs and organizations include:
- CAMP BETHEL CLEAN UP (open to ATHLETES only; off-campus): Highland Cavalier athletes will complete a variety of cleaning and upkeep projects in and around Camp Bethel facilities.
- TOWN OF WISE CLEAN UP (open to SGA only; off-campus): members of SGA will work on clean up and landscaping projects within the Town of Wise.
- FAMILY CRISIS SUPPORT SERVICES (open to GREEKS only; off-campus): members of GREEK LIFE will work with Family Crisis Support Services of Wise County on various projects to help the community.
To find out more about how to participate in the Day of Service, contact Nathan Rasnake, Assistant Director of Student Leadership & Greek Life at 276.376.4651.