The National Society of Leadership & Success
We Build Leaders Who Make a Better World.
The Society is an organization that helps people discover and achieve their goals. The Society offers life-changing lectures from the nation’s leading presenters and a community where like-minded success oriented individuals come together and help one another succeed. The Society also serves as a powerful force of good in the greater community by encouraging and organizing action to better the world.
Leadership at its best
The Society is founded upon the core beliefs that: one can achieve one’s dreams with the proper support and dedicated action, and that we accomplish more together than we would achieve alone. It was founded in 2001 with the sole purpose of creating lasting positive change. Beginning with a handful of chapters and no membership component, the Society now reaches more than 803,000 students around the world.
The Society encourages community action, volunteerism, personal growth and strong leadership from its chapters and members around the world. Learn more about the national organization.
The process to join the Society begins with a nomination by a member of the UVa-Wise community – students, faculty, and staff – during the designated nomination periods (November for spring membership & April for fall membership). Nominees must be success-oriented campus leaders who have a 3.0 or greater GPA and are in good standing as students at UVa-Wise. Upon review of nominations, viable nominees are sent a letter of invitation outlining the details required to complete membership. Visit Membership Benefits to learn more.
New members complete the following steps to Induction in a given semester: participation in extensive Orientation and Leadership Training Day events, complete three peer Success Networking Team meetings, attend three Speaker Broadcasts, and serve on one NSLS committee.
Two induction ceremonies are held each academic year (fall and spring) to honor those students who have completed the required steps for lifetime NSLS membership. Additionally, NSLS members honor others within the campus community with select awards. Visit Previous Members & Honorees (PDF) for a full listing of inducted members and other honorees.
The members of the 2018-2019 Executive Board are:
- Telena Turner, President
- Annie Coleman, Vice President & Society Outreach Chair
- Mattie Ruth Stanley, Secretary & Publicity Chair
- David Shears, Treasurer & Fundraising Chair
- Colton Collins, SNT Coordinator
- Stephanie Shell & Jewell Worley, Advisors
The UVa-Wise NSLS chapter has received numerous recognitions and honors. In Spring 2019, Spring 2018 and April 2015, the chapter was named to the Founder’s List, an NSLS national office recognition for chapter best practices.
At the annual UVa-Wise Student Leadership Banquet, NSLS has received numerous honors, including:
- NSLS was recognized as the 2017-2018 Student Organization of the Year and for a Co-Sponsored Program of the Year (Cavs Care Kits).
- The chapter was recognized with the 2014-2015 Best Overall Program of the Year for its second annual Campus Shoebox Campaign, and co-advisor, Stephanie Shell was named an 2014-2015 Advisor of the Year. The Campaign was also previously recognized as the 2013-2014 Service Program of the Year.
- The Outstanding Student Leader Award (OSL) is the highest honor in the area of student leadership that is awarded at UVa-Wise each year, and includes many NSLS member honorees: Junetta Nuckels (2015-2016), R. Nikki Lane (2013-2014), Erin Beach (2012-2013) and Luke Rasnick (2011-2012).
- During its inaugural year, the UVa-Wise NSLS chapter was recognized as the 2011-2012 Best New Student Organization and with the 2011-2012 UVa-Wise Best New Program for its Speaker Broadcasts.
The chapter also is competitive in the Silver Saber Spirit Competition, an SGA-sponsored Homecoming series of events each fall where UVa-Wise clubs and organizations show their school spirit — 2nd place (2018), 3rd place (2017), 2nd place (2015) and 1st place (2014).
NSLS offers a Speaker Broadcast Series with national speakers each semester. While attendance is required for new members, the free events are also open to the public. The UVa-Wise chapter offers two opportunities to hear each speaker — the live broadcast and a second re-broadcast a week later. Visit UVa-Wise online (News or Calendar) to learn more about speakers each fall (October and November) and spring (February and March).
Fall 2018 speakers: Dr. Oz, Carla Hall, & Adam Grant
Spring 2019 speakers: Dr. Drew, Dr. Shefali, & Rohit Bhargava
NSLS coordinates and/or participates in a number of outreach efforts each year.
Since fall 2013, the chapter has coordinated a Campus Shoebox Campaign in support of the Operation Christmas Child project with Samaritan’s Purse. Many organizations, departments and individuals participate in this annual event. The fall 2018 campaign collected 240 shoeboxes, and NSLS & SGA generously covered all UVa-Wise shoebox shipping costs!
In 2017-2018, the chapter participated in the following: Girls Day in STEM, Fall Fun Festival, Texas Donation Drive for Hurricane Harvey relief efforts, Campus Preview Days, Day of Service, Cavs Care Kits and Take Back the Night. The chapter also hosted a Business Dining Etiquette program for UVa-Wise students.
The National Society of Leadership & Success at UVa-Wise
Box 4716, Wise VA 24293