Housing FAQs

Housing & Residence Life FAQs



What is a loft?  Can I have one?
A loft allows the residence hall bed to be raised to maximize space in your residence hall room. By lofting the bed, students are able to use the space below for the desk and dresser, thereby increasing living space.  Lofts are available for rent in most halls. Only those lofts rented from the Office of Housing & Residence Life are permitted.  View the Loft Kit Rental Agreement.

What furniture is provided in the room/apartment?
Each room is furnished with a desk & chair, bed frame, mattress, closet/wardrobe, chest of drawers, and blinds. Apartments and suites with living rooms are furnished with sofas, side chair(s), TV stand, and coffee and end table(s); kitchens include small dining table and chairs, refrigerators, and stoves with ovens.

Mattresses are seven inches think and measure approximately 36”x82”.  While furniture varies from hall to hall, approximate measurements for basic furniture includes: chest of drawers – 38”L x 22”W x 30”H and desk – 42”L x 22”W x 30”H.

What should I bring for my room?
The following are some often overlooked basic necessities, as well as optional items, that you should consider as you prepare for living in campus housing.  Be sure to check with your roommate(s) to avoid duplication of some items.

jacket/sweater         raincoat/umbrella         clothes hangers
season-appropriate clothing         toiletries         sheets (twin-long)*
blanket(s) & pillow         alarm clock         cleaning supplies
toilet paper (pvt baths only)         telephone         answering machine
television         small fan         computer
storage containers         microwave         refrigerator

*All beds are twins but since some mattresses are thicker than the average mattress, we recommend twin-long sheets.

Where are the laundry facilities located?
There are laundry facilities located in Asbury, Commonwealth, Culbertson, Henson, and McCraray Halls.  Washers and dryers are coin and/or Cavs Card ID operated.  The 2013-2014 rate for each machine was $1.25 per load (future rates are subject to change).

Machines are maintained and serviced by Caldwell and Gregory, who also process any refund requests, and their contact information is posted in each laundry facility.  Only machines provided and maintained by Caldwell and Gregory are permitted; students may not bring their own machines or disable provided machines.

Are cable & telephone services provided?
Each unit has local telephone (except in Commonwealth Hall) and cable TV service (televisions should be cable-ready) provided at no additional cost (costs are included in residence hall fee payment).

Each student is responsible for providing his/her own telephone.  Phones should have touch-tone capability and include the # (pound) and * (star) keys.  The telephone number for the unit is imprinted on the wall outlet.  Long distance service is available through use of a student’s personal calling card.  Students are prevented from accepting collect calls on any campus telephone. Placing an operator-assisted call billed to any other campus telephone number also is prohibited.

The wall outlet and cable box is located in the main living space for each room/suite/apartment; there are not individual outlets/boxes in the bedrooms of suites and apartments.  NOTE:  Splitters are not permitted.

The College provides cable television service with 60+ channels, including major networks ESPN, CNN, TNT, WGN, MTV, and Food Network.  Upon check out, the cable box and remote must be left in the room, if not, a replacement fee will be charged.


What are the College’s technology policies?
The Office of Information Technology (OIT) provides a Responsible Computing Handbook for Students that outlines UVa-Wise computer use guidelines. It is the responsibility of every individual using a computer connected to the campus network to abide by campus network policy and applicable law.  Failure to do so can result in the loss of network privileges.

Examples of prohibited conduct include, but are not limited to, account sharing, unauthorized access or attempted access of others’ files or computing resources, willful distribution of harmful files (such as viruses), distribution of SPAM, and unauthorized access or distribution of copyrighted material.

IT staff are available in the residence halls throughout the semester for troubleshooting.  However, personal computer software and/or hardware is not maintained by the IT staff.

What about internet access?
UVa-Wise IT staff are available during move-in days each semester, as well as throughout the semester, and by calling the Help Desk at 276-376-4509.

Residents in Asbury, Commonwealth, Culbertson, Henson, Martha Randolph, McCraray, and Thompson Halls have access to the internet through Wi-Fi access. It is recommended that electronic devices be Wi-Fi capable with dual-band, wireless-N, and WPA2 features. Older devices with wireless b/g compatibility should connect, but will be noticeably slower. For devices without built-in Wi-Fi, a USB wireless network adapter may be used. Please ensure compatibility matches what is listed above. For more information about the Wi-Fi network, please contact the IT Help Desk at 276-376-4509.


Who is the Housing & Residence Life (HRL) staff?
The Director of Residence Life (DRL) and Assistant Director of Residence Life (ADRL)  provide a comprehensive residence life program at UVa-Wise, including daily supervision, oversight and strategic planning for the HRL staff and serving as a resource to our more than 500 residential students. Their offices are located in the Student Life suite on the lower-level of Cantrell Hall.

Community Coordinators (CC) are responsible for assisting with the daily operations in one of the three residential communities on campus.  The CC provides direct supervision to the RA staff in his/her community as well as coordinates and oversees all mediations, resolving conflicts, and programming initiatives in his/her assigned community.

Resident Advisors (RAs) are students trained to serve as resources, peer counselors, and community builders. All residents should get to know their RAs the first day on campus.

Who is Campus Police?
The College provides 24-hour/day coverage of campus with a staff of full-time police officers certified by the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services. The Campus Police Office is located on the lower-level of Cantrell Hall.

CAMPUS SECURITY-CLERY ACT: UVa-Wise is committed to helping the campus community provide for their own safety and security. Information on campus security and personal safety, including alerts, crime prevention tips and crime statistics may be found at Campus Police webpage.

What resources are available in the Center for Student Development?
The Center for Student Development includes the following units and is located on the lower-level of Cantrell Hall:

Career Services prepares students for professional careers, internships, co-op placements, and graduate study by fostering the development of insights, values, ideas, and competencies toward implementation of career goals. A host of career-oriented opportunities are available such as workshops, career fairs, graduate school preparation resources, internships, part-time and full-time jobs, on-campus recruiting and much more!

Counseling Services focuses on helping the student better manage the transitions involved in a successful college experience.  UVa-Wise counselors are professionals who provide free, confidential counseling to any enrolled students experiencing personal, social, emotional, or educational difficulties. Individual counseling sessions are available on a variety of topics including, but not limited to, stress, anxiety, homesickness, grief, relationships, time and stress management, depression, etc.

Health Services at UVa-Wise is staffed by a full-time registered nurse and a weekly family nurse practitioner from our contracted health provider, MSHA Norton Community Hospital, provided through student fees.  Free student services include health assessments, allergy shots (student provides own prescribed medication), over-the-counter medications, etc.  Additionally, the Wise County Health Department provides on campus services each Tuesday with fees that are income based or billed to student insurance.

Multi-Cultural Affairs coordinates and/or collaborates on a variety of campus events and programs throughout each academic year for diverse learning at UVa-Wise.

What is available in the Slemp Student Center?
The C. Bascom Slemp Student Center (SSC) is the hub of campus, connecting the upper and lower campus in a facility offering students a wide variety of activities and opportunities.  In the facility, you will find the Bookstore, racquetball courts, locker rooms, fitness center, aerobics room, a game room, a student leadership wing with student organization offices (SGA, Highland Cavalier, Jimson Weed, Greek cubicles), the Honor Court Conference Room, post office/ Cavs Card office, two cafe eatery options, additional conference and meeting rooms, and the office of Student Activities, Greek Life, Intramurals, Leadership, and Outdoor Recreation.  Visit the 3rd floor Check Desk for no cost check-in for the fitness center or check-out of recreational equipment.

The new Winston Ely Health & Wellness Center is an 11,000 square foot addition to the C. Bascom Slemp Student Center’s existing fitness center and houses a new fitness exercise area, a multipurpose room for a variety of physical activity classes, a conference room for individual and group health advising and instruction, new locker rooms, and a juice bar. The facility also supports the efforts of the Healthy Appalachia Institute, a partnership between the College and the University of Virginia to promote wellness in the region.

What academic support is available?
Academic Support Services at UVa-Wise is provided through The Tutor Connection, Student Support Services, Disability Services, and The Writing Center.  Free tutoring to all UVa-Wise students and additional academic supports for students who qualify for Student Support Services and Disability Services are available. The Writing Center focuses on interdisciplinary writing supports at all levels. Visit Academic Support for more information.


What is the NRHH?
The National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH) chapter at UVa-Wise recognizes the top 1% of residential student leaders.  These students have contributed vast amounts of time and energy to the residence life program at the College through their numerous involvements including, but not limited to, RA positions, RHA, program & conference participation, and the Student Conduct Board.

What is the RHA?
The Residence Hall Association is an elected student body responsible for campus wide residential programming. RHA is affiliated with the following state, regional and national collegiate residence hall associations – VACURH, SAACURH, and NACURH.

RHA conducts several annual fundraisers to provide you reasonably-priced linen and shower kits, as well as surprises from home to welcome you to campus, celebrate your birthday, and help de-stress for final exams. Look on line or watch for more information near the start of the semester!


What does it cost to live on campus & for meal plans?
Visit the Cashier’s Office webpage for the most current cost information.

Should I use my College email address?
YES, the email address you received ending in ‘@uvawise.edu’ is your official College email and is used for official College communications, including academic notices, schedules & events, parking & construction updates, and emergency notifications.

Do I need a CAVS Card? Where do I get it?
YES, the CAVS Card is your official College identification card. It also serves a variety of other important purposes, including: library card, meal plan card, key card for swipe entry into your residence hall and/or labs, athletic pass (for all regular season, home events), debit system card (deposit monies at the Cashier’s Office for ‘just-like-cash’ purchases in the Bookstore and the Dining Hall), and vending/laundry card (deposit monies at the Cashier’s Office for purchases from campus vending and laundry machines; monies are ‘use it or lose it’).

For new students entering in fall semester, cards are made during summer orientation and freshman cards are distributed at move-in at their assigned residence hall.  Cards for new students entering in spring semester are made during the orientation session held on the Monday before classes begin.

Returning student cards, as well as all replacement cards, are made during regular business hours in the Post Office on the 4th floor of the Slemp Student Center.

Cards must not be defaced in any way (no decals, punched holes for keyrings, etc.).  There is a charge for your Cavs Card or a replacement card.  Cards expire when a student graduates or is no longer enrolled at the College, and must be returned if you leave the College prior to graduating.

Can I bring a car to campus? Parking?
The Campus Police Department requires any student bringing a car to campus to register the car and purchase a parking decal.  Please visit the Campus Police webpage for more information.

What items should I consider in making the decision to live off campus?
Choosing to live off campus is a decision that requires much consideration.  Beyond the collegial environment and experience that campus living offers, there are a variety of things to consider including lease/rent expense, deposits for utilities, food expense, safety and security, laundry, and garbage removal.  Please review the Off Campus Housing Guide (pdf format – updated August 2014) which outlines items for you to consider as well as a listing of available rental options in the area.