In order to maintain proper physical distancing and to take other precautions, UVA Wise will provide a scheduled move-in approach starting on Wednesday, August 19 and continuing until Tuesday, August 25. While in the past this has been a one-day event, it will now be a multiple day process with various move in blocks.
New first year students must be moved in by Sunday, August 23 at noon in order to begin their extended orientation process that will start that afternoon. In addition to a phased move in, please note the following important guidelines that must be followed for move in:
- Only 2 guests will be permitted to assist a student with moving in to their residence hall
- Masks must be worn at all times when in the hallways or common areas of the buildings
- UVA Wise will not be supplying any hand trollies, dollies, or carts due to safety concerns. Please feel free to bring your own.
- We encourage students to limit what they bring to campus—avoid bulky items, furniture, etc.
- You will only be allowed to move in during your allotted time block—once your time block is over, any guests assisting you must leave the building in order for others to move in.
- Student athletes and other approved early arrivals will receive additional information about their move in process.
Please follow these steps to schedule your move-in day date and time:
- Login to the housing portal and electronically sign the Housing Contract Addendum agreeing that you have read and understand the COVID 19 policy, as well as other contractual changes.
- Call the Office of Housing & Residence Life (276-328-0214) between 8:30am and 5pm Monday through Friday 276-328-0214 to schedule your Move-In Day date and time. Staff will check to ensure you have signed the housing contract addendum prior to scheduling your appointment. Please be patient as we expect a high call volume.
- Start packing and look for an additional email closer to move in with detailed information about the move in day process!
In order to provide a smooth move-in experience for all students, students and their families should follow the directions of Campus Police when arriving on campus for Move-In Day. Students and families should unload belongings and then move vehicles to appropriate parking areas at Greear Gymnasium for visitor vehicles and to the appropriate designated parking area for student vehicles. For more information, please review the Parking Rules & Regulations found online.
What Should I Bring?
Students should review the Guide to Campus Living as well as the Housing Agreement for a full listing of housing policies and procedures, as well as approved and prohibited items.
The Guide to Campus Living is a residence life handbook that includes important housing policies, procedures, and general information. This guide is a supplement to the binding housing agreement, which a student signs and agrees to when applying for campus housing.
The following are some often overlooked basic necessities, as well as optional items, that you should consider as you prepare for living in campus housing. Be sure to check with your roommate(s) to avoid duplication of some items. Things to consider include:
Raincoat/umbrella Jacket/sweater Clothes hangers Toiletries Season-appropriate clothing Sheets (twin-long)
Blanket(s) & pillow Alarm Clock Cleaning supplies Refrigerator Small Fan Telephone/answering machine
Storage containers Television Computer Microwave
The following appliance items are allowed in each residence hall room. Please note specifications for some items. Should you have questions about items not listed, please consult the Prohibited Items section (in the Housing Agreement or in this brochure) or contact the Office of Housing & Residence Life.
Coffee Pot Iron Ceramic Heater Lamp Floor Fan Radio
Vacuum Cleaner Stereo Electric Razor Clock Television Crockpot
Hair Dryer Toasters Refrigerator* Small Microwave* Popcorn Popper without open coils
Power strip with reset button (no extension cords)
*Refrigerators may not exceed four (4) cubic feet, and microwaves may not exceed 800 watts. All microwaves and refrigerators must be plugged into power strips with both surge protection and reset buttons.
The College reserves the right to prohibit certain possessions in campus housing facilities. The following items are prohibited. Other items may be prohibited at the discretion of the Dean of Students & Chief Housing Officer.
Candles/incense Gas/charcoal/George Foreman grills Pets other than fish Sandwich/quesadilla/similar grills
Exterior radio aerials Toaster ovens Wireless routers ‘Octopus’ plugs or any plug containing multiple outlets
Halogen/lava/black lamps Extension cords (only power strips with reset buttons are acceptable) Heaters with open coils Hot plates
Kegs of beer, empty alcohol bottles/cans or other alcohol paraphernalia Holiday lights Nerf/Water guns
Window air conditioners and other fans/units that install into window Windowless air conditioner units Bed risers/blocks Hoverboards Illegal drugs/narcotics including any drug-related apparatus (bongs, water pipes, roach clips, etc.) Bikes not permitted inside
Weaponry, including hunting bows/rifles* Fireworks/Combustibles*
* FIREARMS & WEAPONS The possession, storage, or use of any kind of weapons including but not limited to: firearms, air rifles or air pistols, BB guns, brass knuckles, ammunition, firecrackers or fireworks, nunchakus, gasoline, explosives or other combustible materials, and knives with a blade longer than four inches, other than ones used as kitchen tools is prohibited. Please consult the Campus Police Department for additional information.
* FIREWORKS & COMBUSTIBLES The possession, storage or use of fireworks and/or combustibles including but not limited to any kind of ammunition, firecrackers or fireworks, gasoline, or any other explosives or combustible materials are not permitted.
Dining And Lodging
Asia Cafe 276-679-1502
China Garden 276-679-5201
The Diner 276-321-7600
El Dorado (Mexican) 276-533-3175
Huddle House 276-679-6526
Mi Finca (Mexican) 276-679-3330
Monterrey’s (Mexican) 276-679-5850
Moon Dog Brick Oven of Wise 276-321-7452
Prime Sirloin 276-679-0673
Roma’s (Italian) 276-328-3714
Romano’s (Italian) 276-679-1889
Wood Booger Grill 276-325-0551
Yamato’s (Japanese) 276-679-0441