WEB STANDARDS AND GUIDELINES
The following standards and guidelines are intended to create a clear brand identity and a consistent look for the UVa-Wise web site.
To create or maintain a page on the College’s website, you must undergo training and be on the approved list. Contact Kristi McKinney in IT to schedule a personal appointment or to join a training class.
- Page design and navigation must meet the design and navigation standards and the graphic standards
- Pages should meet web-accessibility guidelines.
- The design template includes many default settings that cannot be changed but also a myriad of options within the template to meet your particular needs. See graphic standards and design and navigation.
- A site should be substantially complete in content.
- Information should be updated in a timely fashion.
- Pages should link to and not duplicate standardized College content such as the College Catalog, various handbooks, organizational charts, schedules, etc.
- Forms – If you need a form for your page, please contact Joseph Meade in IT.
- Photos – When selecting photos for use on your page, be aware of the template’s dimensions for photos, e.g. horizontal photo placeholders in the template should be filled with horizontal images.
- Use of intellectual property in page content is governed by the College’s copyright policy.
- Advertising is not permitted on any part of the uvawise.edu site, including but not limited company/vendor logos and acknowledgements.
NEW PAGES/PAGE REVISIONS
- To allow the UVa-Wise Home Page and the A-Z Site Index to be updated, advance notice of page title changes and URL changes should be provided to Kristi McKinney in IT.
- A department head or vice chancellor must contact the Office of College Relations to request a new link from the home page, which must be approved by the Web Committee.
- New pages are queued for approval and will be reviewed and approved by the appropriate staff member of the Office of College Relations before they are published. Staff members also receive timely notifications of web page changes.
- New pages must meet the basic College web requirements as outlined here.