Share Your Thoughts
On May 6, 2020, the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights (OCR) released its Final Rule on Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (Title IX), 20 U.S.C. § 1681. Title IX is a federal civil rights law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in education program and activities that receive federal financial assistance, also called “recipients.” The University of Virginia’s College at Wise, like many colleges and universities, is a “recipient” and, therefore is required to comply with Title IX.
To meet the new Title IX regulatory requirements, the College is required to revise the Sexual Misconduct and Interpersonal Violence Policy. Pursuant to the regulations, these revisions must be completed and implemented by August 14, 2020. The purpose of this form is to provide information about the U.S. Department of Education’s requirements to the College community, as well as providing members of the College community an opportunity to share thoughts during this process.
Please note that the new Title IX regulations are published and final and; therefore, the College must comply with all of these regulations. UVA Wise remains committed to maintaining a respectful and professional academic, living, and working environment for students, faculty, staff, and visitors. As the College makes changes to its Policy to reflect new regulations the views of our campus community members matter.
Please note the materials and form below.
U.S. Department of Education Materials
- Title IX Regulations Addressing Sexual Harassment (Unofficial Copy) PDF (6M)
- Title IX: Fact Sheet: Final Title IX Regulations PDF (209K)
- Title IX: U.S. Department of Education Title IX Final Rule Overview PDF (553K)
- Title IX: Summary of Major Provisions of the Department of Education’s Title IX Final Rule PDF (675K)
- Title IX: Summary of Major Provisions of the Department of Education’s Title IX Final Rule and Comparison to the NPRM PDF (706K)
- OCR Webinar: Title IX Regulations Addressing Sexual Harassment (Length: 01:11:29) 05/06/2020
- Questions and Answers for Postsecondary Institutions Regarding the COVID-19 National Emergency PDF(218K)