General Campus Information
The University of Virginia’s College at Wise is a vibrant cultural and academic community, dedicated to helping students succeed today and tomorrow. On this page, you can find facts and information, from admission, enrollment, and graduation statistics to information about our beautiful campus and the surrounding community.
A beautiful, supportive mountain community.
Average students per class
Software engineering students get jobs
Students graduate with a lighter burden
- Current Enrollment: 2,067 students
- Male-to-Female Enrollment Ratio: 1:1.3
College Admission Statistics
- UVa-Wise is moderately selective and university admission is offered on a rolling basis.
- The average freshmen admitted has SAT scores of 500 Verbal and 490 Math.
- The average high school grade point average (GPA) for admission is 3.34.
Faculty & Classroom Facts
- Student-Faculty Ratio: 13:1
- Average Class size: 17
- Only 2% of our classes have more than 40 students in them.
- UVa-Wise has a faculty of about 140.
- 69% of our full-time faculty members hold the terminal degree in their area of instruction.
Campus Location & Community Info
UVa-Wise is located in the vibrant community of Wise, nestled amid the scenic Appalachian Mountains in southwest Virginia. Our 396-acre campus is located 60 minutes from the Tri-Cities of Tennessee and Virginia.
UVa-Wise is a public liberal arts college offering 30 majors, 32 minors, and 24 teaching licensures. We offer numerous degree programs, including Bachelor of Arts (BA), Bachelor of Science (BS), and Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN).
In addition to our range of bachelor’s degree programs, UVa-Wise also offers a number of esteemed pre-professional programs, in the fields of dentistry, engineering, forestry, law, medicine, physical therapy, and veterinary medicine.
Post-Graduation Placement Record
On average, 97% of the graduating class from UVa-Wise is either employed or seeking a graduate or professional degree in their chosen field of study.
Basic College Information
- Founding Year: 1954
- College Mascot: Highland Cavaliers
- School Colors: Red & Gray
- UVa-Wise is a member of the Council of Public Liberal Arts Colleges (COPLAC).
- Our college was selected for inclusion in the nationwide list of “Colleges of Distinction.”
- We are also ranked among the nation’s top 10 public liberal arts colleges by U.S. News & World Report.
Campus Life Information
- Our campus is a thriving center of activity, development, and learning with more than 50 student organizations, including fraternities and sororities.
College Athletics Facts
- About 200 of our students participate in men’s and women’s athletic programs in and around campus.
- UVa-Wise is currently a member of the Mountain East Conference.
- We are currently in our second year of candidacy for admission to the NCAA Division II.
Financial Aid & Student Debt Statistics
- Over 80% of UVa-Wise students receive some form of financial assistance, including federal and state grants, scholarships, student loans and college employment.
- UVa-Wise is consistently ranked as one of the best colleges nationwide for our low graduating student debt rate.
- UVa-Wise’s four-year degree programs are designed to develop professional goals, job-seeking skills, and graduate and professional school preparation.
- Additional career services we offer include: JobTrak access, workshops, individual counseling, experiential learning, on-campus interviews, access to services and programs of the University of Virginia, part-time jobs while in college, and alumni mentorships.
College Accreditation Information
The University of Virginia’s College at Wise is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools’ Commission on Colleges to award the baccalaureate degree. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404.679.4500 for questions about the accreditation of The University of Virginia’s College at Wise.