Expedition serves as an all-encompassing kick-off to the UVa-Wise experience for all new first-year students.
WHAT IS EXPEDITION?
Expedition serves as an all-encompassing kick-off to the UVa-Wise experience for all new first-year students. Named for Mr. Jefferson’s vision of exploration of the western U.S. by Lewis and Clark, it is a three-day extended orientation program that helps new students make their transition into the campus community as seamless as possible.
While summer orientation sessions provided students and families an opportunity to learn more about UVa-Wise, get questions answered and take care of business, Expedition is focused solely on the new students. Expedition incorporates a multitude of educational, social, community service, and leadership opportunities geared toward student success.
The Expedition logo, a directional compass, is symbolic of the different directions, opportunities and challenges that College life brings. UVa-Wise abounds with opportunities for academic exploration and the development of leadership and personal skills.
WHO ATTENDS EXPEDITION?
All new UVa-Wise students (residential and commuter), including freshmen as well as transfer students who have completed less than 30 transferrable hours, are expected to participate in Expedition. Please do not plan weekend trips, vacations, work hours, etc. during this three-day period.
Students attending ALL Expedition sessions will also receive one cultural activity credit toward their graduation requirement.
WHEN IS EXPEDITION?
EXPEDITION 2015 will be held August 16-18, 2015. Move-in Day for residential freshmen is August 16; Expedition activities for ALL freshmen are scheduled for Monday, August 17. Expedition will introduce students to the tools they need to succeed at UVa-Wise and will involve teaching faculty as well as administrative faculty and staff. Expedition culminates in CONVOCATION, the academic opening ceremonies held annually the day before classes begin.
View the schedule summary.
WHO ARE THE ELs?
ELs, or Expedition Leaders, are upper level students who will guide new students through Expedition. As team leaders, ELs will participate actively in Expedition, provide information and resources, and be on hand all three days to lend a hand.
2015 ELs are: Lauren Bise, Cassandra Blackwell, Andrew Gilliam, Jenna Gray, Sarah Hall, Maya Hamlett, Jacob Hurd, Emily Kale, Kenya Lyons, Hannah McNew, Sean Matthews , Jasmine Mitchell, Jessalyn Mullins, Jessica Mullins, Marissa Riley, Danielle Stoffelen, Ashlee Taylor, and Shannon Walker. Alternates are Alaney Bishop and Micah Nida.
- Are meals provided during? Residential Freshmen and their families have lunch on their own on August 16. The first meal provided by the Meal Plan is dinner on Sunday, August 16. Expedition will provide breakfast for non-residential/commuter students on Monday, August 17.
- What should I wear? Dress is casual. Be sure to wear comfortable shoes—you will be walking around campus.
- What should I bring? Materials will be provided. You might want to bring an umbrella, depending on the weather, a pen, or your tablet/hand-held device for notes.
- Where do I park? Students should park in their regular, designated lots. If you have already purchased your parking decal, you will have the Rules & Regulations brochure outlining parking areas. It can also be accessed online.[HERE].
- When do I get my Cavs Card ID? You will receive your card at Check-in (Residential students on Sunday, non-residential students on Monday). If you plan to buy textbooks on Monday or Tuesday, you may need your card for the transaction.
- Are campus offices open during Expedition? Some offices are open on Sunday, August 16, among them the offices of Student Life, Admissions, Advising, Bookstore, Campus Police, Cashier, Financial Aid, and Student Development. All college offices will be open during regular business hours on Monday, August 17, and students may visit offices as needed when they are not in scheduled Expedition events.
Please contact the Office of Advising and Retention at 276.328.0134 if you have any questions.