Read Volume I Here
Review our Guidelines Below.
Please include a completed
as a cover page for all submissions.
Submission Guidelines for Lux: Undergraduate Scholarship at UVa-Wise: Failure to comply with these guidelines will result in the REJECTION of your paper without review.
Eligibility: Lux is a multidisciplinary journal open to all fields. The first author must have initiated the scholarly activity as a student at UVa-Wise. Alumni may submit within three years of graduation. The journal also accepts papers written in foreign languages.
Submission Application: All submissions must be accompanied by a submission application. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Submissions are accepted via email at Luxuvawise@gmail.com.
- The submission must be saved as one single document file ( all appendixes and references must be included in ONE file)
- File must be in Microsoft Word (.docx),
- Text must be Times New Roman 12-point font, double-spaced, and one-inch margins
- All identifying student information must be removed from the text of the submission (including headers, footers, and title pages)
- File must be saved as a one word title that does not identify the author
- Supporting images should be inserted as a JPEG with numbers and captions to accompany the images. The recommended resolution for images is at least 300 dpi.
- The article should be no longer than 20 pages, which excludes references and supporting materials such as images, charts, tables, and figures.
- Research should be recent, reliable and relevant.
- Abstract: Authors must provide a 250-300 word abstract for their submissions at the beginning of the paper. The abstract should be accessible to readers outside of your immediate field and written in English.
- Bio: Authors must submit a 60-100 word bio with their submission.
- Acknowledgements: Authors should recognize individuals and institutions that supported and sponsored your scholarly activity. This section should be no more than 150 words.
UVa-Wise Honor Code and Citations: Submissions will be checked for plagiarism, and plagiarized papers are subject to rejection without further review. Authors are expected to cite all sources as necessary and are to use the citation standards of their particular field. Works received without adequate citation will be not be considered for publication.
Copyright and Copyrighted Images: Submissions must contain original work conducted as an undergraduate student at UVa-Wise. The author(s) keep the copyright to published work. Author(s) may republish their work elsewhere, but need to cite Lux as an original source and must be aware that many publications do not accept previously published work. It is the responsibility of the author to obtain permission to use copyrighted text including visual aids, images, video, etc.
Peer Review Process:
Every attempt is made to ensure a respectful, transparent, and timely process throughout the blind peer review process. Initial submissions are reviewed for compliance with submission guidelines and anonymously coded to remove all identifying info by the Editors. The anonymously coded submissions are then sent out to faculty with expertise in the field (outside of the Board and not directly affiliated with the student) for two separate independent reviews. Each reviewer is asked to maintain confidentiality and not share or discuss the submission with others. The reviewer will each independently choose to accept, accept with minor revisions, or reject.
If a submission has two yes votes, it is then sent to the Editorial Board for a final review and endorsement.
If a submission has two accept votes, but one or more requires revision, the submission is returned to the student with revision suggestions and a deadline and when resubmitted is then resent to the faculty reviewer to confirm that any concerns have been addressed.
If there are two “no” votes the submission is rejected with revision suggestions sent to the student.
If there are split faculty reviewer votes ( one yes and one no), a third faculty member will be asked to review the submission. If it receives two out of three yes votes it is sent to the Editorial Board for a final review and endorsement. If it receives two of three no votes is it rejected with revision suggestions sent to the student.
Review and Decision Timeline: We accept submissions on a rolling basis. Submisssions received before March 1 will be considered for the Fall Issue. All authors will be notified about Fall publishing decisions by summer.
ORDER COPIES OF Lux
Contact Co-Editors Josephine Rodriguez and Emily Dotson at Luxuvawise@gmail.com to order copies or for more information