Find Your Place at the College at Wise
Discover the new opportunities waiting for you. Learn more about the transfer admissions and application process.
Admissions Criteria for Transfer Students
- Overall GPA of 2.2 or higher
- Transferring from an accredited institution
- In good standing with and able to return to the college or university you last attended and at which you were enrolled full-time in a degree program
Transfer Student Application Process
- Submit a completed application
- Pay a $25 nonrefundable application fee
- Send official transcript(s) from any college you’ve attended (even for just one course)
- Complete applicable transfer student forms
Applicants from Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee
Transfer applicants from a Virginia Community College or Richard Bland College who have earned an Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, or Associate of Arts and Sciences degree based on a baccalaureate-oriented sequence of courses are guaranteed admission to UVA Wise, within limits defined in the College Catalog.
Transfer applicants from a Kentucky and Tennessee Community College will have their work at the community college evaluated on a course-by-course basis.
Transfer students from select Kentucky and Tennessee counties are eligible for reduced tuition at the College at Wise.
- We’re happy to evaluate all courses completed at your previous college. Contact the Registrar's Office for a credit evaluation.
- Only courses equivalent to University of Virginia or UVA Wise courses are eligible for transfer credit.
- Transfer credit is awarded for courses with grades of C- or better (or CR/P for courses designated credit/no credit or pass/fail).
- A maximum of 62 semester hours earned from a two-year college may count toward graduation at UVA Wise.
Learn more about how courses are evaluated for transfer at the Office of the Registrar.
Guaranteed Admissions Program (GAP)
The Guaranteed Admissions Program (GAP) allows transfer students from Mountain Empire, Southwest Virginia, or Virginia Highlands Community Colleges to declare their intentions of studying at UVA Wise early in their time at the community college. Students participating in the GAP are not required to submit an application fee to UVA Wise.
Once You’ve Been Accepted
- Pay your enrollment deposit ($75) to secure your place in the transfer class.
- Submit your final college transcripts when the last semester is completed at the school you are transferring from.
- Complete and submit FAFSA as soon as possible (UVA Wise school code: 003747). Contact the Office of Financial Aid if you need help.
- Register for transfer orientation.