The Major in Communication Studies is recommended for students who plan careers or graduate school in communication, journalism, media studies or related areas.
Those who wish to earn the Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in Communication Studies must complete the following procedure:
- Submit to department chair a declaration of major form. In order to be accepted into the department major, students must have a 2.0 GPA overall and a 2.3 GPA in courses taken for the major. However, it is the strong recommendation of this department, based on past experience, that students have a 2.5 overall GPA before declaring the major, given that our upper level courses are both writing and theory-intensive.
- The student will be assigned an advisor to assist in developing a schedule of courses to complete the major.
- This procedure must take place by the first semester of the student’s junior year to ensure that the student has completed the Liberal Arts Core requirements, and to provide time to complete the major requirements in a reasonable fashion. From time to time, the department will review the progress of the student.
Learn more about studying communication studies at UVA Wise by consulting the College Catalog.
View course descriptions in the College Catalog.
The Department of Communication Studies is please to award graduation with honors to distinguished students. To earn honors the student shall:
- Maintain a 3.50 cumulative grade point average in courses taken on campus and courses transferred to UVA Wise;
- Be nominated for honors by the student’s departmental advisor and at least one other member of the department;
- Submit a research paper in COM 4992 that is deemed to be distinguished by at least two members of the Department of Communication Studies.
Licensure for Teaching Journalism or Speech
Licensure in journalism or speech may be added to basic licensure in English by completing the appropriate coursework.
Licensure to teach journalism may be obtained by completing 15 hours of COM courses, to include COM 2100 and COM 3120, in addition to the prescribed program for English certiﬁcation.
Licensure to teach speech may be added to the basic licensure in English by taking 15 hours of Communication courses, to include COM 1000, THT 1200, and COM 2300.