Pursue physical health and fitness at this state-of-the-art college fitness facility made possible by an $8.3 million gift from the Richard and Leslie Gilliam Foundation. The center houses the latest exercise equipment, a multipurpose room for group exercise and dance, conference rooms for individual and group health advising, and locker rooms.
Any UVA Wise students may take advantage of these facilities while studying at the College. Memberships are also available to the public in an effort to improve quality of life in the community.
Fitness Facilities & Amenities
Winston Ely Health & Wellness Center
The Wellness Room: Featuring group exercise classes, the Wellness Room is the place where Yoga, Power Hour, HIIT, Cycle, Zumba, and more take place on campus!
Men's & Women's Locker Rooms: Rent lockers while you work out. Shampoo and body wash dispensers are installed in the showers (off limits during COVID-19, unfortunately), and hair dryers available for use.
11,000 square-foot Exercise Room: Features state of the art cardio and selectorized weight equipment.
C. Bascom Slemp Fitness Facilites
- Aerobics Room: Open floor space for individualized workouts, bring a workout video and play it, for a personal workout. Provided stability balls and free weights can be used in the room.
- Men's & Women's Locker Rooms: Rent lockers while you work out. Shampoo and body wash dispensers are installed in the showers (showers currently closed due to COVID-19), and hair dryers available for use.
- Fitness Center: Features barbells, plates, squat racks, and rig.
- Racquetball Courts: (Currently closed due to COVID-19) Three racquetball courts are available for use. Free equipment rental for racquetball, wallyball and badminton supplies.
UVA Wise employees and students are permitted to use the Greear Pool during open swim hours. Offerings include:
- Open Swim
- Aqua Fitness Classes, covering a variety of different fitness levels (not currently offered because of COVID-19)
- Swimming Lessons (not currently offered because of COVID-19)
- Men's & Women's Locker Rooms
To Utilize Ely Fitness Center:
Students & Employees
All wellness and fitness areas and amenities can accessed using the UVA Wise Wellness Pass. For UVA Wise students and employees (full- or part-time), your Cavs Card ID will serve as your UVA Wise Wellness Pass. Spouses of employees and students may purchase a Wellness Pass for $30 per month. Dependents of students and employees can purchase a Wellness Pass for $25 per month.
Alumni, Friends, & Community Members
You can purchase a special Wellness Cavs Card for an initial fee of $25, which includes a campus parking pass. (Note: Replacement fees apply for lost cards and parking passes.) Wellness passes are sold at the 1st floor Ely Wellness Check Desk during normal operating hours.
- Twin Leaf Society members: $0 per month for the member, $30 per month for a spouse, and $25 per month for a dependent.
- UVA Wise Alumni: $30 per month for the alumnus/ae, $30 per month for a spouse, and $25 per month for a dependent.
- Community Members: $45 per month for the individual, $30 per month for a spouse and $30 per month for a dependent.