The purpose of the UVA Wise CARE (Crisis - Assessment - Referral - Evaluation) Team is to ensure a timely and coordinated response to students who are experiencing crisis, displaying odd or unusual behaviors, or engaging in other behaviors that may be perceived as being harmful (either to the student individually, or to others).
The CARE Team's goals are:
- Assess, intervene, and provide timely resources and support for students with need.
- Support students experiencing challenges that might lead to a disruption in their education.
- Connect students to resources to support academic success.
- Encourage a culture of community care.
A representative from each of the following departments shall serve on the Team:
- Dean of Students (chair)
- Counseling Services
- Residence Life
- Community Standards
- Student Success/Academic Affairs
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Disability Services
Additional representatives from other areas of the college may be asked to attend on an as needed basis.
The UVA Wise CARE Team is an interdisciplinary group that supplements and provides coordination to existing student support systems but does not replace existing processes:
- Allegations of criminal activity are forwarded to the UVA Wise Campus Police Department.
- Escalating or threatening behaviors are forwarded to the UVA Wise Threat Assessment Team.
- Alleged violations of the Student Code of Conduct are referred to the Assistant Dean of Students/Director of Community Standards.
- Allegations of harassment are addressed in the manner described in Title IX and complaints are forwarded to the Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
- Grievances and appeals of various sorts are handled according to the policies described in the Student Handbook and the Code of Conduct.
For more information
Office of the Dean of Students
Cantrell Hall, 1st floor – Student Affairs Suite