We Build Leaders Who Make a Better World.
The Society is an organization that helps people discover and achieve their goals. The Society offers life-changing lectures from the nation’s leading presenters and a community where like-minded success oriented individuals come together and help one another succeed. The Society also serves as a powerful force of good in the greater community by encouraging and organizing action to better the world.
Leadership at its best
The Society is founded upon the core beliefs that: one can achieve one’s dreams with the proper support and dedicated action, and that we accomplish more together than we would achieve alone. It was founded in 2001 with the sole purpose of creating lasting positive change. Beginning with a handful of chapters and no membership component, the Society now reaches more than one million students around the world.
The Society encourages community action, volunteerism, personal growth and strong leadership from its chapters and members around the world. Learn more about the national organization.
The process to join the Society begins with a nomination by a member of the UVA Wise community – students, faculty, and staff – during the designated nomination periods (November for spring membership & April for fall membership). Nominees must be success-oriented campus leaders who have a 3.0 or greater GPA and are in good standing as students at UVA Wise. Upon review of nominations, viable nominees are sent a letter of invitation outlining the details required to complete membership. Visit Membership Benefits to learn more.
New members complete the following steps to Induction in a given semester: participation in extensive Orientation and Leadership Training Day events, complete three peer Success Networking Team meetings, attend three Speaker Broadcasts, and serve on one NSLS committee.
Two induction ceremonies are held each academic year (fall and spring) to honor those students who have completed the required steps for lifetime NSLS membership. Additionally, NSLS members honor others within the campus community with select awards.
The members of the Spring 2021 Executive Board are:
- Emilee Helbert, President
- Logan Lane, Vice President
- Amanda Greear, Secretary-Treasurer
- Stephanie Shell & Tabitha Smith, Advisors
The UVA Wise NSLS chapter has received numerous recognitions and honors. The chapter was recognized with the Force For Good Award (2020) and Distinguished Chapter Award (2019) by the NSLS national office. Additionally, in Spring 2019, the chapter was again named to the Founder’s List, a national office recognition for chapter best practices.
At the annual UVA Wise Student Leadership Banquet, NSLS has received numerous honors, including:
- NSLS was recognized as the 2018-2019 & 2017-2018 Student Organization of the Year and for a Co-Sponsored Program of the Year (Cavs Care Kits).
- The chapter was recognized with the 2014-2015 Best Overall Program of the Year for its second annual Campus Shoebox Campaign, and co-advisor, Stephanie Shell was named an 2014-2015 Advisor of the Year. The Campaign was also previously recognized as the 2013-2014 Service Program of the Year.
- The Outstanding Student Leader Award (OSL) is the highest honor in the area of student leadership that is awarded at UVA Wise each year, and includes many NSLS member honorees: Telena Turner (2018-2019), Junetta Nuckels (2015-2016), R. Nikki Lane (2013-2014), Erin Beach (2012-2013) and Luke Rasnick (2011-2012).
- During its inaugural year, the UVA Wise NSLS chapter was recognized as the 2011-2012 Best New Student Organization and with the 2011-2012 UVA Wise Best New Program for its Speaker Broadcasts.
The chapter also is competitive in the Silver Saber Spirit Competition, an SGA-sponsored Homecoming series of events each fall where UVA Wise clubs and organizations show their school spirit — 2nd place (2015 & 2018), 3rd place (2017 & 2019), and 1st place (2014).
NSLS offers a Speaker Broadcast Series with national speakers each semester. While attendance is required for new members, the free events are also open to the public. The UVA Wise chapter offers two opportunities to hear each speaker — the live broadcast and a second re-broadcast a week later.
Fall 2020 speakers: Tanya Acker, Jack Black, Bill Nye, & Matthew McConaughey
**Due to online-only offerings, only the re-broadcasts will be open to the campus community; check email for details.**
Spring 2021 speakers: Mark Cuban, Erica Dhawan & Bill Gates
NSLS coordinates and/or participates in a number of outreach efforts each year.
Since fall 2013, the chapter has coordinated a Campus Shoebox Campaign in support of the Operation Christmas Child project with Samaritan’s Purse. Watch your email for details on how to participate! Many organizations, departments and individuals participate in this annual event. The fall 2019 campaign collected a record 343 shoeboxes, and NSLS, SGA and alumni & friends generously covered all UVA Wise shoebox shipping costs!
In recent years, the chapter has participated in the following: Girls Day in STEM-H, Fall Fun Festival, Texas Donation Drive for Hurricane Harvey relief efforts, Campus Preview Days, Day of Service, and Cavs Care Kits and Take Back the Night. The chapter also has hosted Business Dining Etiquette and iPad Quick Tip sessions for UVA Wise students.