- Principles of Biology
- Ecology and Evolutionary Processes
- Advanced Ecology
- Conservation Biology
- Vertebrate Zoology
- Natural History of the Appalachians
- Ecology and Evolution of Appalachian Herpetofauna
- Biodiversity Conservation
- Citizen Science and Biodiversity Outreach
- Southwest Virginia Technology Council High Tech Green Award, 2015
- Harrison Rising Star Award, UVA Wise, 2014
- Outstanding Watershed Educator Award, Upper Tennessee River Roundtable, 2014
- Harrison Award for Mentoring Undergraduate Research, 2013
Blackburn, M.N., J. Wayland, W.H. Smith, J.H. McKenna, M. Harry, M.K. Hamed, M.J. Gray, and D.L. Miller. 2015. First Report of Ranavirus and Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis in Green Salamanders (Aneides aeneus) from Virginia, USA. Herpetological Review. 46(3):357-361.
Fulton, J.N., M. Couch, and W.H. Smith. 2014. New geographic distribution records for herpetofauna from southwest Virginia, USA. Herpetological Review. 45(1):105-106.
Smith, W.H. 2013. Amphibians and large, infrequent forest disturbances: an extreme wind event facilitates habitat creation and anuran breeding. Herpetological Conservation and Biology. 8(3):732-740.
Rissler, L.J. and W.H. Smith. 2010. Mapping amphibian contact zones and phylogeographic break hotspots across the U.S. Molecular Ecology. 19:5404-5416.