UVA Wise Works offers partially subsidized internships to help technology companies, especially tech start-ups, offer paid internships.
Thank you for creating opportunities for students to learn and apply their skills, knowledge, and education. Please read all of this information before completing the employer application below.
Employers are encouraged to adhere to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) guidelines as well as Principles for Employment Professionals from National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE). Organizations are responsible for the ethical and legal conduct of their representatives throughout recruitment for internships and should make a full and accurate presentation of all relevant information.
Students registered with WiseWorks will submit resumes, cover letters, or other required documents to WiseWorks staff. We will forward these materials to your organization. Employers may not contact students directly.
On-Campus Interviews and Activities
When conducting on-campus interviews or other activities related to the recruitment of interns through the WiseWorks program, employers must coordinate visits to UVA Wise through WiseWorks. This process ensures employers will have space reserved and that their activities comply with UVA Wise guidelines and policies.
Internship Best Practices
- Provide interns real work related to their major that is valuable and challenging.
- Hold an orientation session for managers, mentors, and interns. This ensures that everyone understands expectations and roles.
- Provide interns a handbook that answers FAQs and communicates company rules, such as appropriate attire, use of smart phones, etc.
- Encourage your employees to support the socialization and professional development of the interns.
- Make sure interns have resources to complete their assignments, such as space to work, office supplies, and access to technology.
- Give interns a lot of feedback and be open to feedback from them.
- Conduct exit interviews with interns.