Welcome to Wise!
Whether you are a first-time freshman, transfer, or a readmitted student returning to UVA Wise, Orientation will assist you as you begin your transition, learning more about campus resources, gaining knowledge of academic expectations and requirements, and registering for your first UVA Wise classes with your faculty advisor. New freshmen and transfers must confirm their plans to attend UVA Wise by paying their enrollment deposit to participate in Orientation.
Orientation for new students entering Summer and Fall 2021 will be held virtually to help ensure the health and safety of our students and campus partners. So that students can fully wrap up their spring semesters, Orientation will be focused in June, July and early August so students can fully engage in preparations to be UVA Wise students.
After being admitted:
- Confirm your decision to attend UVA Wise by paying your enrollment deposit to the Admissions Office.
- Check your personal email for directions from IT to setup your new UVA Wise email. The same user ID and password will also be used to access all UVA Wise systems, including signing up for Orientation. If you are unsure of your personal email on file, contact the Admissions Office to verify (276-328-0102 or email@example.com).
- Return the tuition form specific to your state to the Admissions Office. (Virginia residents, be sure that you have returned the Application for In-State Tuition form; out-of-state students need to return the ARC form.)
PRO TIP: Check your UVA Wise email often and regularly for office requests, updates and notices for the coming semester.
After confirming your attendance:
- As soon as final grades/scores are available, request copies of ALL high school transcripts, college transcripts (including for any dual enrollment courses), as well as AP test scores, be sent to the UVA Wise Admissions Office, 1 College Avenue, Wise VA 24293 (firstname.lastname@example.org) for evaluation of credit BEFORE Orientation.
- Complete the online Application for Campus Housing if you plan to reside on campus. Note that UVA Wise has a first-year residency requirement; learn more online.
- Check the Financial Aid tab in the Portal for updates or any needed Financial Aid Office information, including the online FAFSA and any required verification items.
- Download and begin working on your required Pre-Entrance Health Packet that is due prior to the start of classes.
- Explore TRIO Student Support Services which provide free academic support to student participants who meet one or more of these criteria -- first-generation college student, have limited income, or have a disability – and submit the online application.
PRO TIP: Now that you are confirmed to attend, your UVA Wise email is now your ONLY email to be used for all official UVA Wise correspondence, communication and business.
Signing up for Orientation:
- Beginning April 12, confirmed students will receive orientation invitations in their UVA Wise emails.
- Sign up for the virtual Orientation using your UVA Wise ID & password (same as your UVA Wise email, but without the “@uvawise.edu” part) for access to the form (you DO have access, just login).
- Confirmation of your signup submission is sent to your UVA Wise email.
The Orientation 3-step process:
The virtual Orientation process includes these three steps with notifications sent to the UVA Wise email for each:
- Orientation Kick-off (OK) Webinar - provided in a recorded format, students will receive instructions for all steps of the Orientation process; upon completion, students will move to Step 2
- Information Modules (including a Math Assessment for some students) - become available after the OK webinar and must be completed promptly to Step 3
- Advising & Registration - upon completion of steps 1 & 2, students will receive instructions for scheduling an advising appointment via zoom with their faculty advisor. Please remember that the advising appointment is only for students; parents/family are encouraged to assist in their student's review of information in advance to help students with preparing for their appointment.
After Orientation & before classes start:
- Upload a photo for your Cavs Card ID. Cards will be available for pick-up at move-in or during the first week of class.
- If you plan to have a car on campus, register it and purchase your decal online from the Campus Police Department.
- If you haven’t already done so, submit your required Pre-Entrance Health Packet.
Information for parents, families & guests:
As students signed up for their Orientation experience, they included the email addresses of up two parents/guests to receive additional information about the information and events just for them.
This summer, three Parent/Family Q&A webinars will be held specifically for parents and families to learn more information about their students’ transition to UVA Wise and to ask any questions they have. Information will be shared in early June to the provided emails about signing up for the webinars to be held on June 28 (noon), July 26 (5 pm), and August 9 (noon).
Additional information and resources will also be shared throughout the summer.