Welcome to Wise!
Whether you are a first-time freshman, transfer, or a readmitted student returning to UVA Wise, the Office of Orientation & Special Programs will assist you as you begin your transition to becoming a Cav. You will be learning more about campus resources, gaining knowledge of academic expectations and requirements, and registering for your first UVA Wise classes with your faculty advisor.
After being admitted:
- CONFIRM: Notify us of your decision to attend UVA Wise in your Admissions Dashboard.
- UVA WISE EMAIL: Setup your new college email account with directions from IT sent to your personal email (check your spam/junk folder). If you are unsure of your personal email on file, contact the Admissions Office to verify (276-328-0102 or email@example.com). NOTE: This IT email also contains your ID# & user ID....be sure to keep a record of them for future use.
- VERIFICATION: Return the tuition form specific to your state to the Admissions Office to verify residency. (Virginia residents, be sure that you have returned the Application for In-State Tuition form; out-of-state students need to return the ARC form.)
After confirming your attendance & before Orientation:
- WISE USER ID/EMAIL: From this point forward, your UVA Wise email and user ID will now be used for all UVA Wise systems, processes and communications, including signing up for Orientation, accessing Financial Aid, viewing your class schedule, semester-start reminders, etc. Be sure to check & use your email often & regularly for all college communications & business.
- PRE-ORIENTATION MODULE: Beginning in March (for fall start)/October (for spring start), students who have confirmed their enrollment in the Admissions Dashboard will receive the Becoming a Cav online module in their Wise email. The module must be completed prior to signing up for a required Orientation session.
Additionally, note these other items to consider/complete BEFORE Orientation:
- CAMPUS HOUSING: Complete the online Application for Campus Housing if you plan to reside on campus. The Housing Portal opens to new summer/fall students in March. Note that UVA Wise has a first-year residency requirement; learn more online.
- FINAL TRANSCRIPTS/TEST SCORES: As soon as grades/scores are available, request copies of ALL final high school transcripts, college transcripts (including for any dual enrollment courses), as well as AP/IB test scores, be sent to the UVA Wise Admissions Office, 1 College Avenue, Wise VA 24293 (or online via Parchment) for evaluation of credit. Course credit cannot be added to your academic record until official transcripts have been received and evaluated.
- FINANCIAL AID: Check the Financial Aid tab in the my.uvawise.edu portal for updates or any needed Financial Aid Office information, including the online FAFSA and any required verification items.
- TRIO/SSS: Explore TRIO Student Support Services which provide free academic support to student participants who meet one or more of these criteria -- first-generation college student, have limited income, or have a disability – and submit the online application.
Signing up for Orientation:
- SIGNUP INVITE: Beginning in April (for fall start)/November (for spring start), confirmed students who have completed their online Becoming a Cav pre-orientation module (see above section) will receive Orientation invitations in their UVA Wise emails.
- SIGNUP FORM: Students will use their UVA Wise ID & password (same as your UVA Wise email, but without the “@uvawise.edu” part) for access to the form in the my.uvawise.edu Portal (you DO have access, just login). Up to two (2) family/guests may be included in the signup form.
- SESSION DATES: The available Orientation 2023 session dates are – June 9, June 30, July 21, and August 4. Students will also have a required zoom meeting with their academic advisor at the start of the week for their chosen Orientation session date. NOTE: Each session provides students with equitable access to course selection, so choose the session that best fits in your summer calendar.
- CONFIRMATION: Students will be notified to their UVA Wise email that the signup submission has been received.
The Orientation process:
The Orientation process includes two-parts with notifications sent to the UVA Wise email with details as each is completed:
- PART 1 - ADVISING & REGISTRATION (ZOOM, BY APPT.)
The week before each Orientation session date, students will receive email notification of their zoom advising appointment that is scheduled for the start of the Orientation session week. During this 1x1 appointment via zoom (no software required; just use provided link on your phone/table/computer), students will discuss their program of study, program requirements and register for classes. Be sure to set a reminder for the meeting so you can be present & engaged. Please remember that the advising appointment is only for students; parents/family are encouraged to assist in their student's review of information from the pre-orientation module to help students with preparing for their appointment.
- PART 2 - ORIENTATION (ON-CAMPUS, IN-PERSON)
Students and their guests included on the Orientation Sign-up form will receive a confirmation email approximately one week before for their upcoming Orientation session date. During this in-person, on-campus day, students and guests will learn more about UVA Wise along with fellow new students, meet campus resources and your advisor to ask questions, and learn more about being a Cav! Check-in will begin at 8:30 am and the event concludes by 2 pm, which gives you time to visit campus offices during regular business hours to take care of any remaining items or questions.
After Orientation & before classes start:
- CAVS CARD ID: Upload a photo for your Cavs Card ID. Cards will be available for pick-up at move-in (residential students) or when classes start (commuters)…be sure your photo is uploaded at least three days in advance of your intended pick-up date. More details will be provided to your Wise email closer to the start of the semester.
- HEALTH PACKET: Download and submit your required Pre-Entrance Health Packet that is due prior to the start of classes. Note that is does require updated immunization information and the signature of a health care professional, so ensure that you don’t delay in completing the form.
- IPAD: Plan to receive your free iPad as part of the College's innovate2elevate initiative prior to the start of classes. More details will be provided to your Wise email closer to the start of the semester.
- PARKING REGISTRATION & DECAL: If you plan to bring a vehicle to campus, you are required to register it and purchase your decal either online or in-person from the Campus Police Department.
- TEXTBOOKS & SUPPLIES: In addition to apparel, snacks and other retail items, the UVA Wise Bookstore offers textbooks for purchase (and some titles for rent) prior to the start of each semester. In most classes, students may use their preferred supplies for notetaking and studying (binder, notebook, etc.). Any other specific requirements will be shared by the instructor on the first day of class and/or in the syllabus available in Canvas just before classes begin.