Welcome to Wise!
Orientation is a special event for newly admitted students — both freshmen and transfer students — who have paid their enrollment deposit and will enter UVA Wise in summer and fall. Whether you are a first-time freshman, transfer student, or returning to UVA Wise, Orientation will assist you as you begin your transition, learning more about campus resources, gaining knowledge of academic expectations and requirements, and registering for your first UVA Wise classes with your faculty advisor.
Orientation for Spring 2021 will be held virtually to help ensure the health and safety of our students and community members. The Spring 2021 process will be available starting on Monday, November 9. Check your UVA Wise email for the registration link.
How do I make the most of Orientation?
After you submit your deposit:
- Check your personal email, where we'll send the information necessary to setup your new UVA Wise email. Then, begin checking it regularly for important notices from campus offices.
- Download and begin working on your Pre-Entrance Health Packet. When it is completed, submit it to Health Services.
- If you plan to live in on-campus housing, complete the online Application for Campus Housing.
- Return the tuition form specific to your state to the Admissions Office. (Virginia residents, be sure that you have returned the Application for In-State Tuition form; out-of-state students need to return the ARC form.)
- Complete the online FAFSA and any required verification items for the Financial Aid Office.
Next, prepare for Orientation:
- Register for Orientation using the invitation link sent to your UVA Wise email (use your UVA Wise ID & password (same as your UVA Wise email, but without the “@uvawise.edu” part) for access to the form (you DO have access, just need to login).
- Check your email for confirmation details to prepare for the start of your virtual Orientation.
- If you are a first-generation college student, have limited income, or have a disability, explore TRIO Student Support Services, which provide free academic support to student participants who meet one or more of the preceding criteria. If interested in these services, submit an online application.
PRO TIP: Check your UVA Wise email often and regularly for office notices, updates and notices for the coming semester.
To complete Orientation:
- Complete the Wise Orientation Welcome module in Moodle, and, if applicable, the Math Assessment module. An initial math placement for all new students is based upon your SAT/ACT math score (or coursework) and is available in the Student Life tab of the my.uvawise portal. An Orientation Math Assessment is:
- REQUIRED for all students planning to major in the Natural Sciences (including pre-professional areas, excluding pre-law) or Mathematics & Computer Science (even if you have transferable credit).
- OPTIONAL for students in all other majors, and is available if students are not satisfied with the initial math placement.
- Schedule your advising appointment with your academic advisor (appointments will be held via Zoom).
- Complete your advising worksheet to prepare for your advising appointment.
- Meet virtually with your academic advisor to discuss programs of study and the liberal arts core, and schedule your UVA Wise classes for the semester.
Before you arrive on campus, be sure:
- You've submitted all final high school transcripts, college transcripts (including for any dual enrollment courses), as well as AP test scores, to the UVA Wise Admissions Office, 1 College Avenue, Wise VA 24293 for evaluation of credit prior to Orientation.
- Upload a photo for your Cavs Card ID. Cards will be available for pick-up at move-in or during the first week of class.
- If you plan to have a car on campus, purchase your decal online from the Campus Police Department.