Overcome challenges and thrive in your college experience
The Counseling Center provides treatment to help students work through a variety of issues that may interfere with learning and personal development. While there is no cap on the number of sessions students may receive, services are primarily short-term. All services provided through the counseling center are offered at no out-of-pocket expense to students.
- Confidential individual counseling
- Workshops and presentations to classes
- Prevention and awareness programming
- Referral for medication evaluation
When necessary, The Counseling Center may refer students to off campus resources.
The Counseling Center offers rapid access hours to students for brief (15-20 minute) check-ins. This service is available to all students. Rapid Access hours are currently Monday and Wednesday from 1pm to 2pm. No appointment is necessary, but students may have a brief wait if another student is being seen. If demand for this service is high, more times will be added.
Counseling is available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
If you would like to schedule an appointment, please stop by The Counseling Center located on the lower level of Cantrell Hall, call 276-376-1005, or email email@example.com. Please notify the administrative assistant if in a crisis or emergency situation to ensure immediate assistance.
All counseling records are kept strictly confidential and are not part of academic records. Information is shared only with a person’s written permission. Exceptions to confidentiality are rare and include when a person poses a threat to their own safety or the safety of someone else or when it is ordered by the court.
Reporting Student Concerns
Treatment to any student for a variety of issues that may interfere with learning and personal development including crisis or distressed situations.
- Sara Schill, LPC, Lead Counselor - 276-376-1005
If unavailable then:
- Katrina Kilgore, LPC, Counselor - 276-376-1005
- Tabitha Smith, Director of Compliance & Inclusion / Title IX Coordinator- 276-376-3451
Any individual whose behavior may potentially pose a threat to self, others, or the campus community.
- Josh Justice, Threat Assessment Team Vice Chairperson - 276-328-0214
- Narda Porter, Threat Assessment Team Vice Chairperson - 276-328-0117
Other contacts include: Beau Boggs, Teena Fast, Stephanie Perry, Katrina Kilgore, Brittanie Jones, Kendall Rainey, Sara Schill, Tabitha Smith
Sexual Violence / Bias
Any reports of sexual violence/harassment, gender, race, national origin or other protected status bias
- Tabitha Smith, Director of Compliance & Inclusion / Title IX Coordinator - 276-376-3451
If unavailable then:
- Molly Land, Title IX Investigator - 276-376-3451
- Narda Porter, Title IX Investigator - 276-328-0117
- Kendall Rainey, Deputy Title IX Coordinator - 276-376-4584
- Josh Justice, Title IX Investigator - 276-328-0214
- Beau Boggs, Police Sergeant & Title IX Liason - 276-328-0190
For general concerns not listed please contact Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs or Dean of Students, Josh Justice.
UVA Wise campus police are available 24/7, located on the lower level of Cantrell Hall or by phone 276-328-0190 or 276-328-COPS. After hours 276-328-3756, 911 for emergencies
Crisis & Emergencies
Counselors are on an on-call rotation for crisis situations and can be reached by Campus Police and Housing Staff 24/7. During business hours (8 a.m.-5 p.m.), please contact The Counseling Center at 276-376-1005 to reach a counselor.
After 5 p.m., on weekends, or if your initial call to The Counseling Center goes unanswered, please contact Campus Police. In case of an after-hours mental health crisis in a residence hall, contact Housing Staff (including your RA), or Campus Police at 276-328-0190, or dial 911.
Counseling Center Staff
The Counseling Center’s clinical staff have earned advanced professional degrees in mental health fields and are licensed/licensed eligible by the State of Virginia. They are members of the American Counseling Association and the American College Counseling Association.