Founded in 2003, the Twinleaf Society is a voluntary group representing all retired employees of UVA Wise who wish to maintain contact with the College and with one another.
Governed by an elected Board of Directors, the Twinleaf Society seeks to make retirement as enjoyable and enriching as possible. Members of the Twinleaf Society participate in an increasing number of on-campus activities.
Origin of Our Name
The symbolic importance of “Twinleaf” is twofold. “Twin” denotes the dual nature of the group, faculty and staff while “Twinleaf,” a plant with the generic name of Jeffersonia, is the ideal tie between the group and Mr. Jefferson’s university.
Membership in the Twinleaf Society is open to all retired employees of the University of Virginia’s College at Wise. The association provides activities, communication, and certain privileges. The fee for membership is currently $10. For additional details about the membership privileges, please read the attached document.
Membership is also open to spouses, even if they have not worked at the College, although they may not be eligible for all of the campus privileges that are available to former employees.
Numbering approximately 74 members, the Twinleaf Society has an elected Board of Directors, which includes a President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer, plus at-large members.
The Twinleaf Society holds periodic meetings on the UVA Wise campus, at which time members receive a report on activities and finances and have the opportunity to interact.
Benefits of Membership
- Twinleaf CAVSCard. Twinleaf Society members can obtain a Twinleaf Cavs card at no charge from campus mail services located in the C. Bascom Slemp Student Center (fourth floor). Please call 276-328-0209 to schedule a time to have your photo made.
- Access to all campus facilities and activities, including the Fred B. Greear pool, the Slemp Fitness Center, and the Winston Ely Health & Wellness Center.
- Free admission to on-campus athletic events for Twinleaf Society members and a spouse with a Twinleaf CAVSCard.
- A gold parking decal at no cost by contacting Campus Police. You may use the decal to park in any available spaces on campus.
- 10% discount on all applicable Bookstore purchases.
- Buy meals at the employee rate at Smith Dining Commons.
- Access the UVA Wise Library at no cost.
- Take courses and pay no tuition if you are 60 years or older and your taxable income for the prior year did not exceed $10,000. Regardless of income, senior citizens may audit courses or enroll in non-credit courses without paying regular fees. Contact the Admissions Office to learn more.
- Join the retiree email listserv with your UVA Wise email address. Contact Slade Potter for additional information.