Financial Administration

Accounting Services

  • Auxiliary Services. All special report requests should be sent to Kristy Robertson.
  • Financial Reports. For assistance with ISDS reports generated through Discoverer, contact Kristy Robertson.
  • Gift Accounting. Use the Expenditure Approval Form. Awards that begin with DR or ER must submit expenditure requests to Bobbi Mullins for approval before committing funds.
  • Grant Accounting. Accounting Services must receive the proposal for review before it is submitted to the sponsor. Upon receipt of any award documentation the Principal Investigator might receive, that information must be forwarded to Accounting Services promptly. If you have questions regarding grant accounting, contact
  • Local Accounting. Duties to maintain the local accounts include posting receipts, processing student refunds, or processing agency and student services requests, fund transfers, and account reconciliations. Contact Sarah Parsons to report any discrepancies with Local Agency and Student Services account balances.
  • Agency Funds. To request an Agency check, you must submit a local agency purchase order to Accounts Payable with all appropriate signatures and supporting documentation. Local Agency purchase orders are processed every Thursday for payment.

Accounts Payable

Accounts Payable ensures the sound financial management of all non-payroll expenditures. Additionally Accounts Payable must ensure compliance with College and University policy as well as state and federal law. Accounts Payable must enter invoices from vendors and review department documentation. Types of payments processed are payment vouchers, vendor invoices, travel reimbursements and petty cash reimbursements. Accounts Payable manages 1099 reporting and IRS compliance for vendors.

For more information, contact Bobbie Mullins.

Cashier’s Office

Learn More

Financial Reporting

It is required by the University that all projects be reconciled by the 10th working day of each month.

If you encounter any issues with running reports on Discoverer, contact Kristy Robertson.

  • Gift Reporting: Financial Reporting provides financial information for all endowments, quasi-endowments, gifts, and professorships. Working in conjunction with the Office of Development, Financial Reporting ensures that all expenditures and receipts are administered by the criteria set forth by the donor. For more information, contact Bobbi Mullins.
  • Agency Funds Accounts Reporting: Reports and balances for these types of accounts are distributed by Financial Reporting monthly. Reports for these type accounts are distributed upon completion of bank reconciliations. These reports are typically sent out by the 15th of each month. If you have any questions, contact Sarah Parsons.
  • Specialized Reporting: If you have a need for any specialized reports that would be of assistance in aiding you to better manage your projects, or accounts, contact the Financial Reporting area. Financial Reporting will work with you to develop and tailor reports that best meet your particular needs.

Property Accounting

The Property Accounting Department of Financial Services is responsible for maintaining an accurate record of all inventoriable equipment in the possession of the College.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is “capital” equipment?

Capital equipment is equipment purchased by the College that has a unit cost of $5,000 or more and a useful life of at least one year.

What is “non-capitalized” equipment?

Non-capitalized equipment is equipment purchase by the College that has a unit cost of under $5,000 and has a useful life of at least one year.

Do I have to inform Property Accounting when I move equipment that has been inventoried from one location to another, or transfer it from my department to another department?

Yes! In order for us to keep the College’s fixed assets system up-to-date, we need to know when equipment permanently changes location so we can update that information in the system. “Permanently” is defined as longer that six months.

Complete the Equipment Inventory Change Form and send it to Property Accounting in the Resource Center.

How do I get rid of equipment my department doesn’t want anymore?

Contact Procurement Services.

Sponsored Programs

All grant proposals of the College must first be sent to the Grants Team for review prior to being submitted to the sponsor. Accounting Services works with the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) at UVA, who establishes grant projects, provides required financial reports to sponsors, and must negotiate any grants and contracts, if needed.

Grants Accounting
Responsible for establishing and maintaining all federal, state and private grant accounts here at the college. Duties include working with grant writers to insure that all federal guidelines are followed as outlined by the Federal Circular A-21, which includes CAS (Cost Accounting Standards). Accounting Services must receive the proposal & completed electronic PRF for review two weeks before it needs to be sent to meet the sponsors deadline. Upon receipt of any award documentation the Principal Investigator might receive, that information must be forwarded to Accounting Services promptly.

To establish a grant project, the information needed by accounting services is as follows:

  • Completed electronic PRF in Research UVA
  • Copy of Request for Proposal (RFP) or solicitation packet, if any
  • Copy of Proposal
  • Award letter from sponsor if proposal is approved for funding

Without this information accounting services cannot establish the project through OSP. Once the project is established, monthly reconciliations must be conducted to ensure expenditures are allowable to the particular grant.

How do I know if my funds should be treated as a gift or grant through OSP?
The Office of Sponsored Programs, in consultation with University Advancement and the unit dean or executive, will make a final determination as to whether the funding in question shall be treated as a gift or sponsored program.

If a Principal Investigator receives a check from a sponsor, it is their responsibility to deliver the check to Accounting Services IMMEDIATELY upon its receipt.

Beth Allison


Accounting & Financial Reporting
Mitzi Cassell


Student Account Representative
Amanda Hughes


Cashier’s Office Manager
Bobbi Mullins


Accounting & Financial Reporting
Rhenea Niece


Accounting & Financial Reporting
Sarah Parsons


Accounting & Financial Reporting