Find Your Direction
Expedition is the all-encompassing kick-off to the UVA Wise experience for first-year students that will begin Friday, August 16th and go through Monday, August 19th.
A students-only event, Expedition incorporates a multitude of educational, social, community service, and leadership opportunities geared toward student success.
Who is Expedition for?
All new first-year students (both residential and commuter) are expected to participate throughout the entirety of the Expedition. Please do not make other plans, such as vacation or work hours, during this event.
What will I do during Expedition?
Prepare for excursions and activities with peers and campus community members. Expedition participants will get to pick an excursion to venture off on, hear award-winning speakers, engage in interactive sessions with UVA Wise staff, and engage in small-group activities with peers and Expedition Leaders.
Who are the Expedition Leaders?
Expedition Leaders, or ELs, are upperclass student leaders who guide new students through Expedition. As team leaders, your ELs will give you helpful information and resources and personally guide you to a successful transition to campus life.
What is the Expedition schedule?
Students will receive a full Expedition schedule upon check-in Friday, August 16th. Additional details will be emailed to students closer to August 16th and will also be available on the UVA Wise Involve app.
Download the Involve app for updates and schedule changes. Students will use the app to participate in Expedition and other events.
What else should I know about Expedition?
- Dress is casual. Wear comfortable shoes; there will be a lot of walking! Check the weather in case you need an umbrella or jacket.
- Meals are included. Residential student meals are included in their meal plan, and all commuter students will receive tickets for all meals at check-in.
- No supplies needed. All needed supplies & materials are provided, including a bag, schedule, and nametag.
- Park in your regular designated lot with a valid parking decal on your car.
- When do I get my Cavs Card? Residential and commuter students will receive their Cavs Card upon check in on August 16th. If you have not already done so, upload your photo to Mail Services at least 3 days prior to the start of Expedition. Learn more about your Cavs Card.
- When do I receive my iPad? All first-year students will receive an iPad, Apple pencil, and smart keyboard as part of the College’s innovate2elevate initiative during Expedition. Additional details will be provided by your EL at Expedition.