Find Your Direction
Expedition is the all-encompassing kick-off to the UVA Wise experience for first-year students that will be held all day on Sunday, August 15, 2021.
A students-only event, Expedition incorporates a multitude of educational, social, community service, and leadership opportunities geared toward student success.
Who is Expedition for?
All new first-year students (both residential and commuter) are expected to participate in the one-day Expedition event. Please do not make other plans, such as vacation or work hours, during this event.
Who are the Expedition Leaders?
Expedition Leaders, or ELs, are upperclassmen who guide students through Expedition. As team leaders, your ELs will give you helpful information and resources and personally guide you to a successful transition to campus life.
What is the Expedition schedule?
Check-in is from 8-8:45 am. Expedition will begin at 9 am and will conclude by 7 pm so students can enjoy the evening's Welcome Week events. Additional details will be emailed to students closer to the August 15.
What else should I know about Expedition?
- Dress is casual. Wear comfortable shoes; there will be a lot of walking! Check the weather in case you need an umbrella or jacket.
- Meals are included. Residential student meals are included in with their meal plan, and all commuter students will receive tickets for all meals.
- No supplies needed. All needed supplies & materials are provided, including a folder, pen, and totebag.
- Park in your regular designated lot with a valid parking decal on your car.
- When do I get my Cavs Card? You will receive your Cavs Card at check-in if you uploaded a photo after completing Orientation, at least 3 days prior to Expedition. If you have not already done so, upload your photo to Mail Services prior to the start of Expedition. Learn more about your Cavs Card.
- Will I receive a cultural activity credit for Expedition? Yes! Students who attend ALL Expedition events receive one (1) cultural activity credit toward their four (4) freshman year requirement. Another credit can be earned at Fall Convocation.