College Freshman Admission Requirements
Welcome to our freshman admissions page, where you can find everything you need to know about applying to UVa-Wise as a first-year student. Whether you’re a high school senior or a recent grad, we’ll work with you to make the application and admissions process simple and straightforward.
The Freshman Admissions & Application Process
The freshman admission and application process is less complicated than it can sometimes seem. Start your application process today. We’re here to help you every step of the way.
We’re thrilled that you’re considering UVa-Wise as your college of choice. Here are the first things you need to do on your path to becoming a Cavalier.
- Talk to an admissions counselor or request information about our college to learn about our requirements and decide which admissions path is right for you.
- Schedule a campus visit and come see what we’re all about.
- Track down the application deadlines and other important dates and put them on your calendar.
- Complete and submit a freshman application.
- Start talking to your high school counselor or advisor about potential scholarship opportunities.
While our Admissions Office is processing your freshman application, you should:
- File tax returns for your parents and yourself (if applicable) as soon as possible.
- Begin applying for financial aid by preparing your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). You should complete and submit your FAFSA as quickly as possible after January 1, but no later than February 15.
- UVa-Wise’s FAFSA code is 003747.
Congratulations! After you’ve received your acceptance letter for freshman admission, here’s what to do next:
- Watch the mail for your award letter, which details which financial aid programs may be available to you.
- Register for and attend a freshman orientation, where you’ll meet with an advisor and register for classes.
- Forward all student and parent loan request forms to the Office of Financial Aid by July 1 for fall semester disbursement and sign up for payment plans if you’ve chosen that option.
- Attend Welcome Week, UVa-Wise’s all-encompassing kick-off event for freshman students, to get your first year of college off to a great start.
Freshman Admission Early Enrollment Programs
UVa-Wise offers two non-binding, early admissions freshman programs, which allow prospective students to take advantage of time-sensitive benefits such as academic scholarships, special registration sessions, and extra residence hall options.
Candidates for our Early Admission I and II freshman programs should present a strong record of academic achievement and plan to take the SAT or ACT in October.
- Early Admission I: Freshman program applications are due by December 1 to be considered for fall admission. An enrollment deposit of $75 is due by February 15.
- Early Admission II: Freshman program applications are due by February 1 to be considered for spring admission. An enrollment deposit of $75 is due by March 15.
The enrollment deposit is non-refundable.
Freshman Admission Requirements
For details about specific admission requirements, such as required coursework, SAT/ACT test scores, and diploma types, view our admission requirements.
Additional Freshman Quick Tips
You can complete the entire application process online via our application portal. However if you’d like to apply for freshman admission via mail, complete the necessary application paperwork, be sure to include any additional required forms, and mail the packet to:
UVa-Wise Office of Admissions
1 College Avenue
Wise, VA 24293-4412
Have questions about freshman admission that aren’t covered here? Contact an Admissions Counselor at firstname.lastname@example.org or 276.328.0102.