All students must apply to graduate.
Log in, click the Students tab, and then select Graduation Application from the menu on the left.
Congratulations! Consult this list to make sure you’re ready to graduate from UVA Wise.
- Complete the Graduation & Degree Application at My UVA Wise and submit to the Registrar by the deadline. Applications for the upcoming year will be due in February. (For example: If you expect to graduate in December 2022, May 2023, or summer 2023, you must apply by February 2022.)
- Review the graduation requirements in the College Catalog.
- Obtain approval for each major from the appropriate department chair.
- Check your online Advising report frequently.
- Watch your UVA Wise email account for updates and critical announcements about graduation.
- Check requirements for graduating with honors.
- Many students require an “exit interview.” Check with the Office of Financial Aid to see if this pertains to you.
- Check for university holds/stop codes. Your diploma cannot be mailed or picked up until all financial obligations to the College have been met.
- Leave a forwarding address with the UVA Wise Post Office. Complete a change of address form in the Registrar’s Office.
- Register with the Alumni Office.
The final responsibility for meeting graduation requirements rests with each individual student. Requirements for graduating with a degree from UVA Wise include:
- A minimum of 120 semester hours. (At most, two hours earned in physical education activities courses may be counted as part of the 120 hour requirement.) Completion of the general education requirements is considered to be part of the 120 hours.
- An overall grade point average of 2.00 or higher for all college level work (including all coursework at other institutions) and 2.00 or higher on all work attempted at UVA Wise.
- In the major area, a grade point average of at least 2.00 or higher as prescribed by the major.
- Completion of requirements for one of the major program areas and the general education requirements as described in the catalog of record.
- Completion of at least 45 semester hours through UVA Wise, with a minimum of 15 semester hours of upper-level courses completed in the major.
- Completion of at least 58 semester hours in a regionally accredited four-year college or university.
- The filing of an application for graduation with the Office of the Registrar at least one full semester prior to the anticipated graduation date.
- Completion of the Cultural Activities Requirement.
A student will normally meet the graduation requirements outlined in the College catalog of the year in which the student entered the College. A student may elect to satisfy the requirements outlined in a catalog subsequent to those in effect when the student entered. However, a student may not use the requirements outlined in a catalog that is more than eight years old at the time a student graduates. A student may change catalogs by declaring a major with the appropriate Department Chair (see Declaration of Major).
Graduating seniors must be in good standing with respect to academics (see above) and the College judicial system. Any student who is not in good standing judicially, who has penalties levied but not satisfied as the result of a judicial process, or who has an Honor Court case pending will be allowed to walk during the graduation ceremony, but will not receive a diploma or transcript. The student’s diploma and/or transcript will not be forthcoming until all penalties are satisfied and all sanctions are lifted.
The University of Virginia’s College at Wise now offers digital diplomas. The digital diploma does not replace the standard paper diploma; however, it does offer the convenience of an accessible electronic copy. The digital diploma makes it easier to share your success with family, friends, and employers.
Digital diploma orders can be placed via phone or by mail. After placing your order, please allow 3-5 business days for processing. You will receive an e-mail (to your UVA Wise e-mail address) from Parchment and UVA Wise — simply follow the link to claim your digital diploma.
Once you’ve claimed it, it is yours to keep. You can automatically share it on Facebook or LinkedIn, email it to employers, or download a secure PDF copy.
To order by phone (using a credit/debit card):
Call the Registrar’s Office at (276) 328-0116 to place your order. You will then be transferred to the Cashier’s Office to pay the $15.00 processing fee.
To order online:
Fill out the online order form on the student portal. Current students can find the form under the Graduation tab, alumni can find the form under the Alumni/Prior Students tab (electronic student forms). After filling out the form, contact the Cashier’s Office at (276) 328-0107 for payment.