UVA Wise proudly supports military veterans and those who actively serve in the U.S. Armed Forces.
Our faculty and staff are committed to help you succeed in your academic and professional endeavors.
The Office of the Registrar serves as the liaison for all military-related matters at the College. Please contact us (Crockett Hall, second floor) if you have any questions or need assistance with any military-related forms.
Finance Your Education with Military-Related Benefits
New and returning students should consider the following list.
- Complete the FAFSA to establish eligibility for grants and loans.
- Apply for VA education benefits (see links below).
- Turn in your Certificate of Eligibility (Post-9/11 GI Bill only).
- Apply for any additional scholarships or aid that the College has to offer.
- Consider funding sources that work in concert with other types of financial aid benefits, such as Federal Tuition Assistance.
- Schedule an appointment with Rebecca Huffman in the Financial Aid Office to review your options. It is important to fill out all applications for aid prior to that meeting so that financial aid officers can make a determination regarding aid.
- Make a payment plan for out-of-pocket expenses not covered by benefits and other aid.
Military-Related Priority Registration
Students who are actively serving the United States of America in any capacity may seek priority registration from the Office of the Registrar. Priority registration allows students on active military duty to schedule their classes in advance if they have documentation to support the necessity of priority registration.
Military-Related Transfer Evaluation
UVA Wise exercises due diligence in evaluating and determining its acceptance or rejection of each of the following methods of transfer:
- Credit recommendations listed in the American Council on Education (ACE) National Guide to College Credit for Workforce Training and the ACE Military Guide as well as DANTES (Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support).
- Credit demonstrated by successfully passing national for-credit examination programs such as The College Board College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and Advanced Placement Testing.
- Individualized portfolio evaluation, which may be conducted by Department Chairs and/or the Registrar.
- UVA Wise attempts to honor credit granted by regionally accredited Virginia institutions awarded through regular study at the awarding institutions.
Military Activation Policy
UVA Wise students who are in the military, military reserves, or the National Guard of the United States and who are called to active duty after the beginning of a semester or summer session have two options available that they may consider with their advisor in determining their enrollment status with the College:
- Students may withdraw from all courses in which they are enrolled as of the effective date of the order to report to active duty. If this option is chosen, a full credit of all tuition and fees will be made to the student’s account. Students will receive a pro-rated credit of dining service and of housing contract charges. Financial aid awards that were credited to student’s accounts will be recovered by the College in the amount of tuition and fees, dining or housing credit.
- Students may take a grade of incomplete in all courses if the student receives the official order during the last three weeks of the term. The conditions for completing course work and receiving a regular grade should be agreed to between the student and the appropriate faculty member for each course in which the student is enrolled. Upon separation from active duty, students must complete the course work by the end of the next regular academic term. Students will receive a pro-rated credit of dining service and housing contract charges. Financial aid awards that were credited to students’ accounts will be recovered by the amount of any dining or housing credit.
For full details of this policy, please contact the Office of the Registrar.