WHAT IS WELCOME WEEK?
Welcome Week (WW) is an exciting mix of academic and co-curricular activities that signals the start of each academic year! WW encompasses a variety of events for new students, returning students, and the entire campus community. WW 2020 includes:
- Move-In Day for 2020 will be a phased process, by appointment, starting FR August 21 and continuing through TU August 25.
- Weekend Offices – several campus offices will be open on SU August 23 for students and parents to conduct business, including:
- Slemp Student Center
- Bookstore (1st floor) @ 9 am-4 pm
- Campus Mail Services (4th floor) @ 9 am-4 pm
- Crockett Hall
- Admissions Office (1st floor) @ 9-11 am & 2-4 pm
- Cashier’s Office (2nd floor) @ 9 am-4 pm
- Registrar’s Office (2nd floor) @ 9 am-4 pm
- Cantrell Hall
- Housing & Residence Life (1st floor) @ 8 am-5 pm
- UVA Health Wise Clinic (1st floor) @ 10 am-noon
- Bowers-Sturgill Hall
- Advancement & Alumni Engagement (1st floor) @ 9 am-4 pm
- Slemp Student Center
- Expedition, an extended orientation experience for all new first-year students, residential and commuters will be held virtually on SU August 23. Students may choose the noon-2 pm or 3-5 pm session.
- Fall Convocation, held virtually this fall, is the official opening of the academic year on TU August 25 at 10 am. All freshmen will meet at 9:45 am at these locations to participate in the live-streamed event. Additional details for the UVA Wise community will be shared by email closer to the event.
- New Student Campus Tours – learn how to navigate campus with our Expedition Leaders in quick, outside-only tours (health & safety protocols will be followed)…bring your fall schedule so you can locate all your classroom buildings. New students will receive an email with registration details. Email OSE@uvawise.edu with questions.
- MO August 24 @ 11 am, 1 pm & 3 pm
- TU August 25 @ 1 pm
- Plus a variety of other fun events before and throughout opening week, including:
- SU August 23: Movie & Popcorn on the Lawn (Space Jam) – 9-11:30 pm @ Lawn by the Lake
- MO August 24: Stock Your Room BINGO – 7:30-9 pm @ Lawn by the Lake
- TU August 25: Maskerade (personalize mask making, putt putt golf & Brain Freeze shaved ice snacks) – 2-8 pm @ Lawn by the Lake
- WE August 26: Breakfast Giveaway (Starbucks & biscuits) – 7:30-10 am @ upper campus
- WE August 26: Multicultural Ice Cream Social – 3 pm @ Casteen Plaza
- WE August 26: Virtual Reality Truck – 3-7 pm @ location TBA
- TH August 27: Hole-in-One Competition – 10 am-2 pm @ Jefferson Plaza
- TH August 27: Rec the Lawn – 6-9 pm @ Henson Lawn
- Contact email@example.com if you have additional questions about Welcome Week fun events!
SEMESTER-START STUDENT REMINDERS
Here are a few additional reminders to ensure we all have a successful start to the Fall 2020 semester:
- COVID testing – At Home COVID-19 testing kits are provided to all students who plan to live or learn on campus this fall. Online students who plan to come to campus to use the library, recreational or dining facilities, meetings, etc. must also complete a test. Either a negative COVID-19 test result or following of CDC guidelines regarding a full quarantine for a positive COVID-19 test are required. Additional details are available in the Testing section of the Fall 2020 webpage and students may email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
- PPE kits – Personal protective equipment (PPE) kits are being provided to all UVA Wise students who plan to live or learn on campus this fall. The PPE kits are in a convenient clip-on carry pouch that contains two reusable masks, hand sanitizer, and a touch-free tool. Residential students receive their kits at Move-In, and commuters may stop by the Division of Student Affairs on the 1st floor of Cantrell Hall to receive their kits.
- HOOS Health Check – This check is now available for students and employees online and via an app and is required for daily use when coming to campus. Additional information is available in a recent email to students and on the Fall 2020 webpage.
- iPad pickup – New students can pick up your iPad during regular business hours (M-F, 8 am-5 pm) in the IT Main Office (Smiddy Hall 273, baseball field end of building). If you are a fully remote/online new student, you can email Scott Bevins (email@example.com) to request that your iPad be mailed to you.
- Cavs Card ID – Students who plan to live or learn on campus this fall will need to upload a photo for their Cavs Card ID card and then pick up the card at Campus Mail Services in the Slemp Student Center. Learn more details online and email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Parking decals – The Campus Police Department will be open during regular business hours (M-F, 8 am-5 pm) on the 1st floor of Cantrell Hall for parking decal registration and/or pickup for online registrations. An online registration form is available in the Students tab of the Portal for your convenience.
- Students, continue to check your UVA Wise email often and regularly for other campus reminders & updates!
Questions? Contact the Office of Student Engagement at 276-328-0313 or email us at OSE@uvawise.edu.