UVA-WISE KICKS OFF AT WELCOME WEEK!
WHAT IS WELCOME WEEK?
Welcome Week mixes academic and co-curricular experiences and is our kick-off for the 2017-18 school year. All new students are expected to attend events scheduled for Monday and Tuesday, August 21 and 22. The College has planned a number of events for ALL students through the entirety of the first week.
WHAT IS SCHEDULED FOR FRESHMEN?
Freshmen will find a combination of events. Sunday, August 20 is move-in day for campus residents, and there is an all-campus Glow-Paint party that evening. Students will rotate through two afternoon sessions with faculty, meet their first Freshmen Seminar (Sem 1010) class for the first time, and join in an inaugural welcome, all crowned with a special evening entertainment.
Convocation, our start-of-the-year ceremony, takes place on Tuesday morning and is followed by a campus-wide picnic, activities fair, and entertainment provided by Student Life. Students have the afternoon free.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
All new UVa-Wise students, residential and commuters, including freshmen as well as transfer students who have completed less than 30 transferrable hours, are expected to participate in the Monday-Tuesday activities. Residence Life Advisors will help new students find their sessions and their way on campus.
WHERE CAN I GET A SCHEDULE?
Schedules for Welcome Week will be posted on the website and will be posted all over campus. View the Welcome Week schedule.
- Are meals provided?Residential freshmen and their families can lunch on their own on Move-in day (Aug 21). Students can enjoy a banana split with their families on the grounds in mid-afternoon. The first meal provided by the meal plan is dinner on Sunday.
- What should I wear? Dress is casual. Be sure to wear comfortable shoes—you’ll be walking around campus. On Monday and Tuesday, you’ll be both inside and outdoors.
- What should I bring?Materials will be provided. You might want an umbrella, depending on the weather, or a pen. Your hand-held device would be useful during the Monday afternoon session.
- Where do I park? Students should park in their regular, designated lots. If you have already purchased your parking decal, you will have the Rules & Regulations brochure outlining parking areas. The Parking Rules & Regulations brochure can also be accessed online.
- How do I get my Cavs Card? On-campus residents will pick up their cards at move-in at their assigned residence hall. Commuting students can pick up their cards Sunday afternoon in Crockett Hall or on Monday morning at check-in for the Monday sessions.
- Are campus offices open? On Sunday, some offices will be open, including Admissions, Advising, Student Life, Bookstore, Campus Police, Cashier, Financial Aid, and Student Development from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
All college offices will be open during regular business hours on Monday, August 21, and students may visit offices as needed when they are not in any scheduled sessions.
Please contact the Office of Advising and Retention at 276.328.0134 if you have any questions.